Converting to dual exhaust

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MikesRammin

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.2 Magnum
How do I convert my truck to true dual without the check engine light come on and not lose any MPG.

pavester

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
are you just looking for dual exhaust tips out the back? or a actual true dual setup with two exhaust pipes from the headers back?

the first way you can just buy a new y pipe which will be less restrictive and have it welded in then have whatever shop weld up the dual pipes with whatever mufflers you want, that or

get a muffle with single in dual out and run the pipes out the back.

a true dual setup would be a h pipe or x pipe, keep the cats, then run the exhaust to whatever mufflers you want.

pavester

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
heres how mine is setup, dont mind the goofy dude...thats my buddy that helped weld it

200519_10150154049434282_643019281_8065012_2638229_n.jpg

OP
OP
MikesRammin

MikesRammin

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.2 Magnum
I want it from the manifold back true dual. I don't have emmissions here in Ohio so I'll junk the cat. Can I run a true dual on these trucks without the H or X pipe and it not send any codes?

KGBIGCOUNTRY

Reaction score
Ram Year
2004 RCSB/2005 QCSB
Engine
5.7 / 5.7
Goin to have to use nonfoulers on the O2s to prevent a code. Would still use an X or H to help balance the tubes.

wermbang

Reaction score
Ram Year
2001 Off Road
Engine
5.9L V8 Sport
What they said for the x or H and the foulers. The gas tank gets in the way on the drivers side to run straight back.

quietpeen

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 TRX
Engine
Hellcat
why do you want to run without a h or x pipe. From what I've read they help the dual exhaust system...not hamper it

OP
OP
MikesRammin

MikesRammin

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.2 Magnum
I've read up alot on X and H pipes they give you slim to nothing when you use them the only benifit you will get is a change of tone and the only time you see any kind of gain is when you put it right at the collector on the header. Can somebody give me a little more info on the nonfoulers? Sorry that probably sounds stupid but I've always delt with carbed vehicles.

Werbang I saw that to when I was looking under my truck so if I kept the manifolds my pipes off of them run into to the cat like my cat is dual inlet. So I was gonna cut it there and run the pipes down one side till I got to the axle then have them exit on different sides.

Now another thing I was thinking of doing was finding long tube headers and getting a header muffler that bolts directly to the collecter like the Flowtech purple hornies. Will there be any clearance issues if I go that route?

talon6

Reaction score
Ram Year
2002 QCSB 4X4
Engine
supercharged 5.9
where you at in ohio?

talon6

Reaction score
Ram Year
2002 QCSB 4X4
Engine
supercharged 5.9
i live close to zanesville.

wermbang

Reaction score
Ram Year
2001 Off Road
Engine
5.9L V8 Sport
Here you can see where mine split off, right by the drive shaft.
000_0033.jpg

wermbang

Reaction score
Ram Year
2001 Off Road
Engine
5.9L V8 Sport
Nope. SI/SO cat then splits off as you see in the pic. I have cut it since then so now it only has about 3ft of pipe after the cat. no muffler either

Bigtman07

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 5.9
That's my neck of the woods. lol Ok well to run true duals you will need to take out the cat first. The Y pipe is an all in one piece i believe. I may be wrong. But you would have to run 2 identical sets of pipes down the passenger side then bend one to go out passenger side and one driver side. Tell you the truth I have straight piped mine after the cat and i get the sound and a little more pep. But if you do true duals you will have good flow but not exactly what the computer may like. We can debate true duals or not all day. What I found it to come down to is cost. Will cost more to do true with more headache. But if you just straight it after the cat. Get sound flow and don't mess with the computer. But up to you bud.

OP
OP
MikesRammin

MikesRammin

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.2 Magnum
So far I've got an update got the exhaust cut right before the cat so as of now I just need to go get some tubing and run it. O2 is unhooked at the moment till I can get a weld **** to put it in. Check engine light hasn't come on yet. Is this pipe 2 inch?

V-10 RAM

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
v-10
I want it from the manifold back true dual. I don't have emmissions here in Ohio so I'll junk the cat. Can I run a true dual on these trucks without the H or X pipe and it not send any codes?

Just a tip. Cats are required by Federal Law not just State. But more important than that junking the cats & screwing with the emissions will hurt way more than help. The cats don't cost you mileage or performance. In fact I have seen guys do exactly like you want to do & their vehicles ran worse. If nothing else run MagnaFlow free flowing Cats. That is what I have done with both my S-10 Blazer 4x4 & my Jeep 5.9 Limited.
The manufactures spend millions on R&D to come up with the best all around vehicle, performance, mileage, drive-ability, & stay within the laws.
That is why the big time racers have engineers on staff. In fact more Engineers than Mechanics.

Just a side note discussing or helping violate laws could put this forum in a bad place. Most forums the mods would of spoke up by now.

OP
OP
MikesRammin

MikesRammin

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.2 Magnum
Just a tip. Cats are required by Federal Law not just State. But more important than that junking the cats & screwing with the emissions will hurt way more than help. The cats don't cost you mileage or performance. In fact I have seen guys do exactly like you want to do & their vehicles ran worse. If nothing else run MagnaFlow free flowing Cats. That is what I have done with both my S-10 Blazer 4x4 & my Jeep 5.9 Limited.
The manufactures spend millions on R&D to come up with the best all around vehicle, performance, mileage, drive-ability, & stay within the laws.
That is why the big time racers have engineers on staff. In fact more Engineers than Mechanics.

Just a side note discussing or helping violate laws could put this forum in a bad place. Most forums the mods would of spoke up by now.

Thats my plan is to run two free flowing cats. I ran some more pipe right now it ends just past my crossmember I'm getting more pipe tomorrow but it doesn't run worse I've actually got more low end torque because I had the truck in first doing 25 today and when I floored it the truck went sideways.

V-10 RAM

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
v-10
Thats my plan is to run two free flowing cats. I ran some more pipe right now it ends just past my crossmember I'm getting more pipe tomorrow but it doesn't run worse I've actually got more low end torque because I had the truck in first doing 25 today and when I floored it the truck went sideways.

As long as you run cats your OK. I was referring to taking them off all together. I must of miss read your post. Somewhere I got the idea you wanted to take them off all together & just run dual pipes with a set of mufflers.
I run MagnaFlow cats on my S-10 Blazer 4x4 & my Jeep GC 5.9 Limited. Without cats you loose too much back pressure. These newer vehicles need back pressure to run to there max in basic stock form.

OP
OP
MikesRammin

MikesRammin

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.2 Magnum
As long as you run cats your OK. I was referring to taking them off all together. I must of miss read your post. Somewhere I got the idea you wanted to take them off all together & just run dual pipes with a set of mufflers.
I run MagnaFlow cats on my S-10 Blazer 4x4 & my Jeep GC 5.9 Limited. Without cats you loose too much back pressure. These newer vehicles need back pressure to run to there max in basic stock form.

Yeah I have 2 inch pipe for now just to have back pressure till I can afford the cats. But believe me I would love to run straight piped out the back and tune this thing to eat anything on the road. But its my daily driver so a nice mellow tone and good driveablity is what I'm aiming for. I got the race cars to go fast.