Coolant Guage Not Working

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

regularcab2500

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Magnum
Lately ive been trying to get my cooling system straightened out. When i bought the truck the coolant guage did not work and it seemed the thermostat was getting stuck closed. I replaced the thermostat, sending unit probe to the left of the upper radiator hose and the sensor to the right next to the a/c compressor. Coolant guage still is not working and the truck is burning coolant now and getting worse mpg. Wondering if any of you gents have been through this already and where i should start troubleshooting first.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

dapepper9

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L V8
Sounds like the wiring between the sensor and cluster or the cluster itself. Prob need to test for a heasgasket though

OP
OP
regularcab2500

regularcab2500

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Magnum
I dont think i mentioned that i wasnt burning coolant before i replaced the sender or the thermostat. I thought it might be an issue with that sensor to the pcm but i have not driven the truck enough since i replaced the sensor to tell really

I will check the clip for the sender to make sure its not screwed. The plastic body on the old unit was destroyed. Maybe some crap is in there.

Last edited:

dudeman2009

Reaction score
Ram Year
2001 1500 Sport with enough electrical modifications to make my brain hurt
Engine
Magnum 360
Try a cluster self test, it will rule out a bad IC. Key off, hold the odometer button, turn the key to RUN and hold the odo button until the odometer itself displays the word "check" the release the button.

The VFD will check every digit, then all the guages will do a sweep, its in 3 parts so don't worry if they move part way then stop, but by the end all of them should move all the way to max.

As for losing coolant, check the thermostat housing, a small leak adds up. Another common place for leaks is the heater return line on the driver's side of the water pump.

OP
OP
regularcab2500

regularcab2500

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Magnum
Does it matter that i have an analogue odometer?

d14396570125e25cd0df621b548db2dc.jpg this is what i have for a cluster

Last edited:

dudeman2009

Reaction score
Ram Year
2001 1500 Sport with enough electrical modifications to make my brain hurt
Engine
Magnum 360
Does it matter that i have an analogue odometer?

d14396570125e25cd0df621b548db2dc.jpg this is what i have for a cluster

You know i'm not sure. You can give it a shot.

OP
OP
regularcab2500

regularcab2500

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Magnum
Yeah it didnt do anything. Im in the process of taking my dash apart as i type lol

OP
OP
regularcab2500

regularcab2500

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Magnum
Well ive put about 100 miles on the truck since i did this and im pleased to say its not burning nor leaking coolant. Must have a fried wire between the sender and the guage.

Does anyone know where i can find the pigtail that plugs into the sender probe? I dont see it on rock auto or advance.

Yeret

The Village Drunk
Reaction score
Under the hood fixing/breaking something.
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Magnum
Yeah, I thought that the cluster self-test would be a good check but then I realized that you have the old-style cluster. The self-test module wasn't introduced until 1998 with the new-style clusters.

I ****ing hate cooling system work. My truck didn't leak a drop until the heater hose blew. I replaced it but it still continued to leak coolant. I found a big crack in the upper radiator hose and replaced it and then the radiator blew up literally a week later. I replaced that and found that I was STILL leaking coolant. Turns out the screw-on clamp that I had on the heater hose worked it's way loose. FML.

Earlier this month, my dad replaced the shot upper radiator hose on my mom's Dakota. She went for a drive and called us 10 minutes later because the truck started smoking like hell and the temperature gauge was pushing the red. Turns out the bypass hose on the water pump decided to blow and just saturated everything under the hood with coolant.

Also, both my Mountaineer and my mom's Jeep are still awaiting water pump replacement because both pumps leak like a siv.

**** liquid cooling, man.