cooling system trouble and 4 wheel drive not working.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

rynoschmidt88

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
v8 magnum 5.9
I have a 96 ram 1500 v8 5.9 sport. I just bought it with 165k a month ago. The car lot told me they had put a new transfer case in it and thats all. Its all stock. Has a 97 ,T case,. Sence I got it it was loosing coolant and found out the timing cover gasket was bad. So I replaced that. ( and of cprse oil pan gasket). Did 195° t stat. And new water pump. I drained the flued but I made the mistake of not flushing it very well. I filled it. Burped it though. But the problem is it still runs hot. Im no master mechanic... not yet anyways. But I catch on. I hear a trickling or"rushing water throuh pipes sound" in my dash. Usually when I press on the gas. Engine runs 195°- about 250, I've seen it get up too. Heater core blockage maybe? A/c still blows cold. Any advice? I am going to properly flush it today. Hoeses look good. I aint loosing coolant no more. It is runong hot off and on. Imm gonna try and flush through the heater core hoses too. Is that a bad idea? Also a week after I got the truck the 4 wheel drive went out. Car lot blamed me saying I cant shift to 4 wheel high while in drive. For the cooling system trouble the car lot took $250 off my next 2 payments. It was a as is warranty buy. So I get what I got. Anyway is the 4 wheel drive isseue something else besides th t case? Ive done a lot of research on this truck and I ain't giving up until its running like a champ. Need some pointers from u guys.

MoparMagic'00

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.2 Magnum
It sounds like an air pocket for the running hot issue.. and that would also cause the rushing sound in the dash.. people have had luck by bringing the pass. wheel up higher than the others and burping the system that way.. also check to make sure the thermostat is opening up... ive had them bad from the store.. If both of those are done correctly Id say you have another issue.. as far as the four wheel drive it can be from a number of issues.. 4hi from drive shouldn't have caused anything.. it should have a shift on the fly tcase.. I would start checking the CAD (central axle disconnect) housing on the front axle housing on passenger side... the black line will have vacuum when in 2wd mode and the red will have vacuum when engaging to 4wd mode (low or high) also a known issue is the diaphragm in the housing to go bad by getting holes in it from wear and tear or rust.. if worried about the heater core being blocked check both hoses coming from firewall.. one will be slightly cooler than the other if working properly if there is no difference at all then a restricter may need to be added for better heat (no overheating should occur in this case) if one is hot and the other cold (read BIG temp difference) there is not enough coolant passing through..

dodge dude94

Millennial Boomer
Reaction score
Ram Year
1998 Ram 1500
Engine
5.9 Magnum
^He's got ya for the most part it looks like.

+1 on burping the system again. You'll have to get that passenger side wheel high up and rev the engine once it's up to temp.

Also, check your vacuum lines from your t-case to your axle. They probably buggered them up when installing the t-case.

OP
OP
R

rynoschmidt88

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
v8 magnum 5.9
K thanks for al ur guys advise. I need to do a better burp job. And ill cjeck out that vaccum issue. I was already thinki g I had some vacuum issues bt the way its been running.