Couple new issues

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Hollabakzach23

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hey everyone!

So I have a few things going on this evening.

1) today I had the check engine light come on which I figured was the 02 sensor since that has triggered a few times here and there but when I hooked it up to my code reader it said it was a misfire in cylinder 2. It came on this morning I think and and stayed on all day but the truck was ever sluggish or boggy at all which kind of confused me I checked the wire to make sure it was tight and I will pull the plug tomorrow when I et home from work to see what it looks like. I reset the code this even and drove a little bit around the neighborhood and it never triggered again which I thought was strange so this issue is really more of what precautions should I take as I keep y'all updated.

2) this is pretty minor to myself since its never caused many problems but I would like to get fixed. My reverse lights and my third brake lights aren't working. My brake lights on the tails work just fine but the high mount light is not working the cargo lights work just fine so I'm guessing the harness can't be toast but the brake lights won't come on. I could not locate a fuse for the third brake light but then again maybe I wasn't looking hard enough? As far as the reverse lights I believe I have read something about the neutral safety switch connected to the transmission that activates the reverse light? Can anyone clear this up for me or does anyone else have any other ideas? I have checked the fuses in the cab and all seems well.

Okiespaniel

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
magnum, 5.9
Misfire can be caused by a variety of things. Yes, moisture in the plug wire or dist cap could've caused it.

But it could be an injector. Make sure your connector is tight and clean. May have to check it with a noid light if you get a CEL

Usually when my 3rd brake lights aren't working all the bulbs are fried. Again moisture is usually the problem. Have someone step on the brakes and take a voltage reading to ground. Should have at least 11.6 volts.
I'm not sure where the ground is for that harness but a Haynes or Chilton manual might show. Ot you might have to trace it.

The neutral safety switch does actuate the revese lights. Again a voltage check is useful to make sure you don't have a ground issue. The ground straps from the bed to the frame also should be checked. They are up in the front corners. I'd guess road salt has obliterated them.

OP
OP
Hollabakzach23

Hollabakzach23

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Thanks man. I will check the plug first and ensure the connector to the injector is tight as well and go from there.

with the third brake light i changed all of the bulbs at the same time which is why i thought it was strange when the cargo lights would light up fine and not the brake lights. i will have to get the voltmeter out thanks for telling me what the reading should be. i probably wont go too far down the harness since my other brake lights also work i just thought it would be nice to have them light up with the rest of them! lol

didnt think about the ground straps either but will look into the grounding of the sensor and the grounds under there as well. its not too farfetched to think the salt has destroyed them with this wonderful Indiana weather we have...

Okiespaniel

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
magnum, 5.9
I was born in South Bend...and lived most of my 56 years in either Indiana, Wisconsin, or Iowa. Lost many a good Mopar to road salt. :(

OP
OP
Hollabakzach23

Hollabakzach23

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
well then id say you know a little more about road salt than I do so I'll stop complaining until I've put in more than four years of driving in it. lol