Crank sensor, losing my mind

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Blain

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.2 magnum
Ive been trying to replace my crank sensor for almost a week now. Im at wits end. My arms arent thin enough to reach through the following

Wheelwell above frame
Between frame and trans
Between firewall and head

The only place I can actually touch the sensor is while laying on top of the motor blindly finger banging the back of the engine.

Turns out the pcv pipe is preventing me from getting a tool on the top bolt of the cps. The ram manual actually tells the procedure on the cps is to remove egr and pipe. Great

Ive been going slow as to not break any bolts. I have the manifold bolts off but cant get the intake nut loose. I cant seem to fit any tools there to get good leverage on it. Does anyone know what size the nut is? Its larger than a 19mm wrench.

My thought is to get a wrench that fits, but am open to other ideas.

dapepper9

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L V8
Are you removing the intake manifold or just the intake pipe for the egr?

I use about a 6" extension and a deepwell, 1/2" socket or 1/4" balldriver allen socket and go over the passenger side

OP
OP
B

Blain

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.2 magnum
Just removing the egr pipe to access crank sensor bolts. I dont have any ball end allen sockets so that may be a direction to go.

I have 3/8 drive sockets with 1/4 allen and no amount of swivels will clear the egr pipe. If i knew the size of the nut i would buy the wrench for it but a whole jumbo wrench set is too much to use only once.

OP
OP
B

Blain

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.2 magnum
To anyone following, the egr tube nut in the intake manifold is a 7/8" size.

$20 at menards bought an sae crowfoot set, crescent brand.... used a small 2 inch extension and a ratcher and broke it loose no problem.

dapepper9

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L V8
Thx fit the update! That's something a lot of guys forget to do or simply don't and it's really helpful.

Also going to file that away in the memory bank (have a great memory for bolt/nut sizes for some reason lol)