Crankshaft Sensor Change Out Issue

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

eremartin1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.2l
I have a 1999 Ram extended cab and need to change out the crankshaft sensor. I have tried to find information on the best way to access this part but have not found anything yet except for someone said the best way to access it was from the top. I can not get to it, can't figure out what socket fits the nut, and now I have dropped a socket down in that area.
Can someone tell me the trick to get to this part? Is there a problem with the socket I have lost down there.
I need to get this fixed ASAP the truck has been down for a week now and I need to get it back up and running. It died a week ago and it cranks but won't start and run. I had to have it towed to where I could work on it and if I have to take it some place to have it fixed, I will have to have it towed again. Please is there anyone who can assist me with getting this stupid thing out and changed?
Thanks in advance.

wingnut

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 gas
Hi Martin! I'll try to help, but I am NOT a dodge mechanic, just an owner. Our BR-body trucks are called "cab-foreward" from the factory. Which means distributor-under-dashboard to the rest of us. I have replaced the crank-sensor on this truck. It was pretty much done by "feel-only". During an engine change, I pinched the wires between the engine and the trans during re-assembly. I can't tell you what an awful job it was. I think it was a 10mm bolt holding in the sensor. But it was an exercise in misery doing it a 1/16 turn at a time. Then fitting the new one, sight-unseen. It should take about an hour, but it seems like forever for doing what should be a simple job. I think I did it with a 1/4" drive, from below, by feel only.