Diagnosis?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

PNW1993

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Magnum 8.0
Hey, I'm new to the forums so I apologize ahead of time if this has already been asked, and or in the wrong section.

I recently purchased a 96' ram 2500 4x4 w/ the 8.0L magnum v10 (98k miles). It had been sitting for close to five years. I'm not super mechanically inclined, however, I pulled fuel injectors and cleaned them individually, changed oil and coolant, installed a new battery, brake booster, and ignition switch. I'm now trying to diagnose two more issues and don't know where to begin?

1. When in 4low and 4high, there is a clunking that seems to be consistent with the rotation of the front wheels. It doesn't happen when in 2wd. U-joints don't seem to have any play in them, but was told it could have something to do with the chain in the T-case?

2. Engine seemed to be running fine, but randomly started to hesitate. Felt as if the air filter was being blocked? I began to lose power and wasn't able to make it up a hill. When I pulled over and popped the hood, the exhaust manifold was glowing red and there was a distinct smell of fuel coming out of the interior air vents. My temp gauges seemed to stay consistent and didn't show any major changes?

Any suggestions will help, I don't really know where to begin on either of these issues. Not sure if it matters, but the truck is lifted 5" w/ 37" tires.

Thanks
Also idk why the attachment is upside down :confused:

EDIT:

Fixed the image for ya. Sometimes it has to do with the orientation of your phone when you take a pic then load it up here.

PNW%201993_zpsucljyrdu.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

MADDOG

Not RamForum Staff
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Your guess on the clunk is spot on. Unless you find a bad bearing or hub, and you've inspected the U-Joints already, it sounds like you are gonna have to get into that front diff.

The glowing red hot exhaust manifold leads me to believe that you have an injector problem and it's throwing too much fuel into the engine.

Nice looking (upside down) truck! Love the V10's. Good luck with the diagnosis and repairs.

auskip07

Reaction score
Ram Year
s
Engine
s
After sitting for 5 years i would guess some of the Vac hoses are dry rot. Letting unmetered air into the engine. Best guess at this point. Or intake gasket leak using some starter fluid you can sparingly spray around the intake if the engine rev's then you have a leak. be careful though

Last edited:
OP
OP
P

PNW1993

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Magnum 8.0
Thanks, Maddog

When originally testing/cleaning the fuel injectors they all sprayed properly, as well as tested consistent on the multimeter. My thoughts were that maybe the ecu/computer could be the issue? Or possibly clogged cats?
I've also been planning on dropping the fuel tank and replacing the fuel pump/filter, but didn't think that would cause the symptoms I'm experiencing.

Any tips or pointer on going about the repairs/pinpointing the problem?

Good lookin' out on the pic rotation! :favorites13:

OP
OP
P

PNW1993

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Magnum 8.0
Thanks auskip07!

Hopefully I can find some time later today to give that a shot. When going about doing so, what am I being careful of? It won't grenade the engine, will it? Ha

Yeret

The Village Drunk
Reaction score
Under the hood fixing/breaking something.
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Magnum
I'll bet you've got a plugged cat.

Start the engine, let it come up to operating temperature, shift into neutral and dig into the throttle. If the engine hits 3,000 RPMs and will not rev past that, replace the cat.

The flow of exhaust carries heat away from the engine. If the exhaust can't flow, ie a plugged catalytic converter, the heat will sit in the manifolds until it gets absorbed. Eventually the manifolds will absorb so much heat that they will begin to glow.

A healthy cooling system will prevent the engine itself from overheating in such a case, but coolant doesn't flow through the exhaust manifolds...

In regards to your clunking, I still wouldn't rule out worn u-joints at the output shaft. The old u-joint in my driveshaft didn't have any play in it, but would still vibrate at higher RPMs. After pulling it out, it was discovered that one of the "ears" had several shot needle bearings. After replacing it, no more vibrations.

auskip07

Reaction score
Ram Year
s
Engine
s
Thanks auskip07!

Hopefully I can find some time later today to give that a shot. When going about doing so, what am I being careful of? It won't grenade the engine, will it? Ha

no not a chance of grenad the engine just burning your eye brows off, if something caught on fire

auskip07

Reaction score
Ram Year
s
Engine
s
i was also thinking of clogged exhaust. My cousin replace an engine in a mustang took him 3 years to do it. Car stored outside So, replace the engine and the car starts but it wont rev and then dies if you do.... Turned out squirrels had built a nest in the exhaust choking out the engine. He only found out when he sold the car for pennys on the dollar

Yeret

The Village Drunk
Reaction score
Under the hood fixing/breaking something.
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Magnum
Yeah, I would expect anything when a vehicle has been sitting for a few years. Out in the boonies here, a vehicle sits for a month and mice are stashing crap in the air box. Hell, sits for a week and spiders are trying to build webs in the interior.

joepizuro

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Magnum v10
Remove air intake filter and check the box leading to fender. Obviously your getting gas. Maybe too much. Also Rev in neutral see how high rpm goes to determine if cat. Start from there

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
radikio