Distributor help

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Mikeyn23

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have a 97 Dodge Ram 1500 5.9 gas swapped out the engine but when I got it distributor was not in so I pulled the old on from mine get everything together but not sure if I put the distributor in the right way got spark fuel when I crank it it wants to start but just back fires so guessing I have the timing off does anyone know how to reset the distributor on here to put it in the correct position if someone could help I’d appreciate it thanks

dudeman2009

Reaction score
Ram Year
2001 1500 Sport with enough electrical modifications to make my brain hurt
Engine
Magnum 360
You have to turn the engine over to TDC cyl 1 (front drivers side) and line up the timing marks on the crank, if you have a borescope pull the spark plug and look inside to make sure the valves are closed, or pull the valve cover (removing the valve cover is easy, just make 100% sure you blow all the crap off from around it first, you dont want any crap getting into the engine).

Once the engine is at TDC of the compression stroke, pull the distributor cap and loosen the hold down bolt. There is a mark on the cam sensor, should be a small line with "cyl 1" or "TDC" next to it, thats where you line up the mark and the tip of the rotor by rotating the distributor. Try to get it right in the middle of the rotor. Then tighten it down and put everything back on. After that you'll still have to take it to the dealer or another shop thats able to program the new fuel sync into the PCM as there is no way to manually adjust the timing, its all computer controlled.

Attached is the distributor cap 'pinout' it lists the location of the plug wires. Its really easy to get them off by one plug, then it will never fire.

Attachments

• Untitled.png
    Untitled.png
    33.7 KB · Views: 28