do i have posi?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

rammanriley20

Reaction score
Ram Year
1999 Ram 1500
Engine
5.9 Mag
i have a 1999 dodge ram 1500 2wd. ive done lots of burnouts and stuff but sometimes i get a little rubber on both sides sometimes i only get tread on one side. wondering if i have posi....i know i can jack up the rear and spin the tire to see if the other spins, but someone probably knows already.

swillest

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I'd like to know this as well, 94 1500 5.2 2wd LWB. I think it has a limited slip?

Merc225hp

Reaction score
Ram Year
truck
Engine
gas
I thought you got a build sheet for your truck that would tell you. There might be a metal tag on the diff cover bolt that would tell you. Open the hood and look up there might be a sticker telling you that info as well.

Reads like you have a lsd and might need some work done to it, pull the diff cover and look for metal pieces.

Attachments

• 2014-04-26_16-45-01_950.jpg
    2014-04-26_16-45-01_950.jpg
    78.1 KB · Views: 85

dodge dude94

Millennial Boomer
Reaction score
Ram Year
1998 Ram 1500
Engine
5.9 Magnum
I thought you got a build sheet for your truck that would tell you. There might be a metal tag on the diff cover bolt that would tell you. Open the hood and look up there might be a sticker telling you that info as well.

Reads like you have a lsd and might need some work done to it, pull the diff cover and look for metal pieces.

^^This.

OP
OP
rammanriley20

rammanriley20

Reaction score
Ram Year
1999 Ram 1500
Engine
5.9 Mag
ill probably just jack it up. you just put it in neutral, block the front tires and spin the right rear wheel. if the left side wheel spins the same way you know you have posi. just thought someone may have a quick answer. also i thought maybe the sport package would come with a posi rear end

MagSport

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Our trucks (sport) typically did come with lsd however it is not a great system. Before I put on my 33s I had the same issues. Most of the time they would both go, but since I've installed 33s and have yet to do a gear swap it takes an act of God or wet pavement for it to happen now lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dodge dude94

Millennial Boomer
Reaction score
Ram Year
1998 Ram 1500
Engine
5.9 Magnum
They hook good, just aren't strong lol

I can drift my truck damn good thanks to my LSD. :D

Stegs

Reaction score
Ram Year
1998 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4
Engine
5.2L 318 C.I.
generally dodge did not put a posi unit in our 2nd gens

Now, off road editions came with a limited slip locker, which is what i think your talking about

easy way to tell is to jack up the back of the truck (in neutral) and spin the tires

if both tires spin the same way its a posi, if they spin opposite its open

I love my spicer limited slip locker....i get posi everywhere, but no binding doing sharp corners on pavement! :favorites13:

dodge dude94

Millennial Boomer
Reaction score
Ram Year
1998 Ram 1500
Engine
5.9 Magnum
Dodge didn't use a locker, Chevy used lockers.

Dodge used a weak (I wanna say weak Detroit TruTrac-style unit but I can't remember what other unit it was like) limited slip diff. In a short wheel base truck you will for sure know you've got a locker, a limited slip is more forgiving and has smoother application.

Merc225hp

Reaction score
Ram Year
truck
Engine
gas
The main reason the Trac lok fails is mechs and people forget to put the slip additive in the oil.

Right out of the FSM its referred to as a ; LIMITED SLIP DIFFERENTIAL or short LSD

Posi trac=GM
Trac Lok=Chrysler and was used in the Dana 44 front/rear diff's by many manufacturers over the decades.

DIFFERENTIAL TEST

WARNING: WHEN SERVICING VEHICLES WITH A
LIMITED SLIP DIFFERENTIAL DO NOT USE THE
ENGINE TO TURN THE AXLE AND WHEELS. BOTH
REAR WHEELS MUST BE RAISED AND THE VEHICLE
SUPPORTED. A LIMITED SLIP AXLE CAN
EXERT ENOUGH FORCE (IF ONE WHEEL IS IN
CONTACT WITH THE SURFACE) TO CAUSE THE
VEHICLE TO MOVE.

The differential can be tested without removing the
differential case by measuring rotating torque. Make
sure brakes are not dragging during this measurement.

(1) Engine off, transmission in neutral, and parking brake off.

(2) Place blocks in front and rear of both front wheels.

(3) Raise one rear wheel until it is completely off the ground.

(4) Remove wheel and bolt Special Tool 6790 to studs.

(5) Use torque wrench on special tool to rotate wheel and read rotating torque (Fig. 2).

(6) If rotating torque is less than 22 N-m (30 ft. lbs.) or more than 271 N-m (200 ft. lbs.) on either wheel the unit should be service.

Last edited: