does anyone else have to pump the gas to start?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

rammanriley20

Reaction score
Ram Year
1999 Ram 1500
Engine
5.9 Mag
so i dont understand.....fuel injected motor, but i usually need to pump the gas to start it? if i dont pump the gas it usually takes 4 or more tries to turn the motor over, but if i pump the gas it usually only takes one or maybe two tries. anyone else have to do this?

BBartow

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L Magnum
Is your fuel pump working? Do you hear it when you turn the key? If you cycle the key a few times, will it start no problem?

MoparMagic'00

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.2 Magnum
this isnt putting more fuel in while cranking just regulating air if im not mistaken.. i think its an injector with gunk keeping it slightly open and flooding in on itself.. when pumping the pedal and cranking over it helps dry it out and put the fuel back into the rail. try cycling the key on til pump quits pumping (about 5 seconds) then off and then back on a few times see if this helps

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
magnum 5.2
My dad had this problem once with his Dakota sport he was in iraq for two years so the truck sat there when he got back and he also had to pump the gas to start it then we found out you can hold the gas petal down to the floor and it turns off your injectors so that it will clean itself out or start on what is in the cylinders without adding more but you can take all your injectors out and clean them this may fix your issue

OP
OP
rammanriley20

rammanriley20

Reaction score
Ram Year
1999 Ram 1500
Engine
5.9 Mag
fuel pump works fine, ill check out the injectors. its weird.....if i dont pupm the gas it takes a while to turn over like 3 tries. but if i pump the gas a couple times it turns right over

Merc225hp

Reaction score
Ram Year
truck
Engine
gas
Hard Starting, and/or long crank time, and/or poor idle
leaking injectors - will not set a fault code
Bad Idle Air Control motor
Weak battery - dead cell(s) will cause strange idling problems
Weak fuel pump

OP
OP
rammanriley20

rammanriley20

Reaction score
Ram Year
1999 Ram 1500
Engine
5.9 Mag
Hard Starting, and/or long crank time, and/or poor idle
leaking injectors - will not set a fault code
Bad Idle Air Control motor
Weak battery - dead cell(s) will cause strange idling problems
Weak fuel pump

i dont think its the battery or starter because this thing CRANKS! last winter i barely touched the ignition ant the motor cranked right over....so im pretty sure its not the starter or battery because it still cranks hard. im thinking its most likely injectors but could possibly be the fuel pump. ill look into getting that stuff checked out.

thanks guys

Merc225hp

Reaction score
Ram Year
truck
Engine
gas
Do DVM test on the TPS, pull the TB turn it over, there is a small rubber 90 degree fitting that goes from the Map to the TB check for cracks, leaks, broken fitting.

Edit: I have seen many a person hunt for a leaky injector, don't think anybody has ever found one. A good use of Techron in the tank will help clean out injectors.

Last edited:

txtrucker75

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
360 5.9
you could have allot of build up in your injectors or a leaking injector or if the injector is cracked it could be getting air into the system