Electric fan conversion?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jessedavis82

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
My clutch fan went out on my 2002 5.9l. I've read some posts about converting to a 99-04 Grand Cherokee electric fan. Is the Grand Cherokee fan 19" that will fit in my orginal shroud? With the wiring I really dont mind it being on constant since I do a lot of idling, my truck is for work only I work in pipeline construction so I idle quite a bit and need AC cold on hot days in Texas. With that said I wanted to wire it up to run all the time when the truck is on. What size wire do I need to use and what size fuse?

Thanks

Mohpar

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Magnum 5.9
I would just buy a wiring kit off ebay. Hell even get a couple of puller fans off ebay as well.

You can get anything from the cheaper Chinese dinky fans to flex-a-lite name brand type stuff.
Depends how much you want to spend. Look on eBay or Amazon for a complete kit
Hayden makes some good stuff.

It's cheaper and more reliable to just get a new clutch fan rather than trying to mess with taking an old fan out of a Cherokee and buying a wiring harness to fit it in the truck.

I have an 8 blade fan in place of the 5 blade stock one.
I believe it is this: 9 blade clutch fan for Dodge Dakota

Maybe mine is 9 blades. Anyway you just take the Dakota fan and bolt up a clutch for our trucks. But Dakotas had 5.2 and 5.9 as well so it should be a direct fit.

OP
OP
J

Jessedavis82

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I would just buy a wiring kit off ebay. Hell even get a couple of puller fans off ebay as well.

You can get anything from the cheaper Chinese dinky fans to flex-a-lite name brand type stuff.
Depends how much you want to spend. Look on eBay or Amazon for a complete kit
Hayden makes some good stuff.

It's cheaper and more reliable to just get a new clutch fan rather than trying to mess with taking an old fan out of a Cherokee and buying a wiring harness to fit it in the truck.

I have an 8 blade fan in place of the 5 blade stock one.
I believe it is this: 9 blade clutch fan for Dodge Dakota

Maybe mine is 9 blades. Anyway you just take the Dakota fan and bolt up a clutch for our trucks. But Dakotas had 5.2 and 5.9 as well so it should be a direct fit.

I like the idea of an electric fan due to idling for long periods and still staying cool. I idle sometimes for up 2hrs +.
The Grand Cherokee fan is a perfect fit I just had some questions for people who've done the same conversion. Thanks

Mohpar

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Magnum 5.9
I like the idea of an electric fan due to idling for long periods and still staying cool. I idle sometimes for up 2hrs +.
The Grand Cherokee fan is a perfect fit I just had some questions for people who've done the same conversion. Thanks

I hear you. But clutch fans do the same thing - always on at idle. Your call, I personally have never heard of the Cherokee fan conversion.