Electric fans.. kit or DIY?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Ronan

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
There is a guy selling the correct v6 mopar fan in the classifieds right now for 250$ shipped. That is the fan I would use , plug and play. I'm currently running the aftermarket v6 fan and it works great for 100$ but there is a slight vibration. The oem mopar one is steady as a surgeon. I wouldn't hesitate as it usually goes for over 300$

4th gen v6 e-fan 55056851af
http://www.ramforum.com/showthread.php?t=85012&pid=1287254
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

tommyboi87

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.2 Magnum
I got the tcp kit. Got it from a local guy pretty cheap. Had it for about two years now with absolutely no problems. I love it personally. I just wouldn't pay full price for it.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G925A using Tapatalk

joepizuro

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Magnum v10
Does it free up some room? I really don't want anything extreme but would like to get that weight off the crank and make some room lol

Gr8bawana

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 CTD
Does it free up some room? I really don't want anything extreme but would like to get that weight off the crank and make some room lol

Get that weight off the crank? Please elaborate.

joepizuro

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Magnum v10
not sure if its mounted on my water pump but it still eats some HP turning it lol..

Gr8bawana

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 CTD
So are you going to get an electric power steering pump? An electric compressor for the AC? An electric water pump? I wish I had the $$$ to throw down the toilet like you.
Then again it's your money and you choice. :imo:

tommyboi87

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.2 Magnum
The tcp kit eliminates the clutch fan. So in theory it frees some hp. It also eliminates the factory shroud and replaces it with a low profile aluminum shroud that creates plenty of working room

227482bcfeec9a69e41272ee98f5abf3.jpg

joepizuro

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Magnum v10
Can delete the A/C(broke) and run an electric fan... Hmm. I really just like the extra room I'm going to get.

dapepper9

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L V8
So are you going to get an electric power steering pump? An electric compressor for the AC? An electric water pump? I wish I had the $$$ to throw down the toilet like you.
Then again it's your money and you choice. :imo:

Someone's salty.

Electric fan is a great upgrade actually since it cools more, cools selectively with some setups, looks good and frees up engine bay room, less engine load

tommyboi87

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.2 Magnum
Exactly! The freed stress on the water pump is a huge benefit on its own. That single benefit frees hp by removing the force and strain of the clutch fan by removing it, which turns one benefit into two. Depending on your wiring setup, you get colder blowing air conditioning. Your engine temp will be colder. On top of all that, depending on the health of your motor and your driving conditions, you see a slight boost in mpg. It's definitely a mod worth the price. If it wasn't, car manufacturers wouldn't have switched to electric fans.

Mohpar

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Magnum 5.9
Well I'm pretty late BUT I am here to give a dissenting opinion:

I had a DIY fan from a Lincoln MKIV or something like that. Was crazy and blew like 4,000 CFMs. Mounted it, spent hours bending steels sheets to make a mounting bracket for it. Got it all wired up, it was amazing. It freed up a little power and I was very happy with it. However, in true Murhpy's law fashion the fan stopped working as I was moving into my apartment in college. I was stuck in the middle of traffic while everyone was moving in and the temp got HOT.

I pulled over and tried everything for over an hour to get the fan working. Nothing was working. It would work with straight battery power but not with the wiring harness I made for it. I had an appointment that I couldn't miss with the housing company (or I'd be charged several hundred $) so without it working I had to drive.

Long story short it got super hot, the "check gauges" light came on, and it scared the **** out of me but I made it. The truck's fine, that was about 8 months ago. Now I've replaced it with an 8 blade old style clutch fan.

I'll take peace of mind over those electric fans any day. I know the brand name kits are probably good quality, but I will forever have the little "what if" in the back of my mind.

OP
OP
rammanriley20

rammanriley20

Reaction score
Ram Year
1999 Ram 1500
Engine
5.9 Mag

I had a DIY fan from a Lincoln MKIV or something like that. Was crazy and blew like 4,000 CFMs. Mounted it, spent hours bending steels sheets to make a mounting bracket for it. Got it all wired up, it was amazing. It freed up a little power and I was very happy with it. However, in true Murhpy's law fashion the fan stopped working as I was moving into my apartment in college. I was stuck in the middle of traffic while everyone was moving in and the temp got HOT.

I pulled over and tried everything for over an hour to get the fan working. Nothing was working. It would work with straight battery power but not with the wiring harness I made for it. I had an appointment that I couldn't miss with the housing company (or I'd be charged several hundred $) so without it working I had to drive.

Long story short it got super hot, the "check gauges" light came on, and it scared the **** out of me but I made it. The truck's fine, that was about 8 months ago. Now I've replaced it with an 8 blade old style clutch fan.

I'll take peace of mind over those electric fans any day. I know the brand name kits are probably good quality, but I will forever have the little "what if" in the back of my mind.

luckily i live where i can have a friend or family member within 30 minutes of picking me up wherever i am at any time. so im not worried. also thats why i plan on running 2 fans so theres an even less chance of both going out rather than jjust 1

amocoharley

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Electric fans do seem like a cool mod but let's not get carried away with any mpg gains. The stress that is described as coming off the water pump has to go somewhere. It goes to the alternator. Instead of hp being lost through turning the mechanical fan it is lost through the alternator working harder to some degree. There will be no horsepower increase felt and no mpg gain to be seen in the real world or dodge would have done it already.

dapepper9

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L V8
Electric fans do seem like a cool mod but let's not get carried away with any mpg gains. The stress that is described as coming off the water pump has to go somewhere. It goes to the alternator. Instead of hp being lost through turning the mechanical fan it is lost through the alternator working harder to some degree. There will be no horsepower increase felt and no mpg gain to be seen in the real world or dodge would have done it already.

It really doesn't add much stress at all to the alternator. Alternator generates based on rpm not load. That's why underdrive pulleys for the alternator ate a bad idea.

My fan arrived yesterday

OP
OP
rammanriley20

rammanriley20

Reaction score
Ram Year
1999 Ram 1500
Engine
5.9 Mag
Yes because some electric fans with small motors draw so much power that the alternator has stress. But i can run my sound system with no problems on the alt

OP
OP
rammanriley20

rammanriley20

Reaction score
Ram Year
1999 Ram 1500
Engine
5.9 Mag
And dodge DOES do it already! most newer vehicles have electric fans.

BBartow

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L Magnum

They draw a **** ton of amps. Its your fault for not setting it up properly. Aftermarket fans are much better.

Mohpar

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Magnum 5.9
They draw a **** ton of amps. Its your fault for not setting it up properly. Aftermarket fans are much better.

I did. Had a 5 pin relay wired to a switch on my dash with fuses. Good grounds and everything worked great for a month. I tested it alot to make sure it'd work well.

But no matter how foolproof, electrical and mechanical systems always wear out or fail. Yes my kit was DIY but aftermarket fans are installed in the same way mine was.

Ronan

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Ok , this got a little out of control huh. Anyway , it is a great mod for the fact that it frees up room and there is less rotational mass for you motor to turn, the drain on your alt. Is minimal because your fan does NOT stay on. If you have a tuner , you set your temps. Mine comes on at 194, and they all go off 10* cooler than the on temp. Combined with the u/d pulley I have zero issues. It is much quieter and revs much smoother. And for the record , 13 and up already has electric power steering.

Oh yeah I forgot to mention, if you do this mod you'll definitely run a 10 sec 1/4!!!

Last edited:
Reactions: Mop