Engine Cleaning (post pics of yours)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bluwarguy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Magnum V8
Not sure if this is the right place to post it, but what's the best way to clean our engines? I'm sick of having mine look gross and dusty all the time. Also, post pics of your clean engine bay, let's see who has the best looking

THETANK

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 R/T
Engine
5.7L Hemi
not a ton of help I know but I start on day one right from the dealer, good luck.

dhumboldt12

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Magnum
I would say what worked pretty good for me was just to take some degreaser from any auto parts store, cover the alternator and belt, and just start wiping down.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

Max78

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Magnum 5.9
I went to the coin wash that had a engine de-greaser option, hosed it down, sprayed de-greaser on heavy and blew it all away with the pressure washer. It looked like a new engine by the time I was all done and had no adverse effects.

I spent less than it would cost to buy a can of Gunk and used a ton of de-greaser, and it worked very well.

Stay away from all engine detailing products if you want it to look half way decent over a period of time.

Sorry, dont have any pics.

dudeman2009

Reaction score
Ram Year
2001 1500 Sport with enough electrical modifications to make my brain hurt
Engine
Magnum 360
Any place that sells degreaser or a car wash with degreaser is the easiest way to go, just don't spray down the electrical boxes too much.

If not, soap and water works amazingly well, it just takes a bit more elbow grease.

After you get it clean, tire shine on all rubber parts and black plastic gives it a nice sheen for a bit until it gets covered in dirt and dust again.

If you want a clean engine bay, get ready to work for it, you almost need to clean it weekly or twice monthly.

Ram444

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7
Don't use Purple Power it will stain your hoses. I've had good results with Simple Green. Saying that, don't leave Simple Green on for more than a couple minutes.

Attachments

• IMG_0322.jpg
    IMG_0322.jpg
    99 KB · Views: 65

Yeret

The Village Drunk
Reaction score
Under the hood fixing/breaking something.
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Magnum
When my engine was out, I stood inside the engine bay and cleaned every square inch with diluted Purple Power. Cleaned up the intake manifold and valve covers and had the block painted. When the engine was dropped back in, it looked absolutely brand new. It took about two trips down the gravel to dust everything back up again, LOL. I do occasionally clean my valve covers along with a thing or two here and there especially when I pull the air cleaner to re-oil the K&N.

dodge dude94

Millennial Boomer
Reaction score
Ram Year
1998 Ram 1500
Engine
5.9 Magnum
i use the bulk degreser we have at work. Called Bluetek99. i just cover my air filter with a towel, saturate the engine bay with it, then fire up the washer and blow it all out

dudeman2009

Reaction score
Ram Year
2001 1500 Sport with enough electrical modifications to make my brain hurt
Engine
Magnum 360
When my engine was out, I stood inside the engine bay and cleaned every square inch with diluted Purple Power. Cleaned up the intake manifold and valve covers and had the block painted. When the engine was dropped back in, it looked absolutely brand new. It took about two trips down the gravel to dust everything back up again, LOL. I do occasionally clean my valve covers along with a thing or two here and there especially when I pull the air cleaner to re-oil the K&N.

Man, I should've cleaned mine while the engine was out. :buffer:

CostaRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
Don't use Purple Power it will stain your hoses. I've had good results with Simple Green. Saying that, don't leave Simple Green on for more than a couple minutes.

I particularly like your TRD cover!

Chris