engine and milage?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

1badass1500

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 gas
I have a 98 ram 1500 4x4 and it has 5.9 gas engine.i want to take a trip from spokane wa to everett wa (about 5 hoirs or so) and my engine has 181000 miles on it.i have done plugs, wires, cap, rotor, lower intake gasket,air filter, and fuel pump In the last couple months.my ? Is will my fruck make it there and back? I have brand new tires and everything seem to work properly and the trans seems to shift great.what are all your guys a pinions? The only reason is I will have my 4 year old daughter and maybe my 10 month old son and dont want to brake down

B-g-K

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Ecodiesel
I mean you could break down in a brand new truck... If its properly maintained and everything is running properly I don't see why it wouldn't make it?

OP
OP

1badass1500

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 gas
I bought it a few months ago and had to do a lot of work but know it seems to run really good.i don't know what the life on these engines and trans are.

B-g-K

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Ecodiesel
Highly subjective. Was the plenum gasket replaced? Service be transmission if you haven't already.

hotkarl

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7 Semi-Hemi
Be glad you don't own a 2013!
Go with your gut. You've been driving it for a little while and had some work done, if you don't feel all warm and fuzzy inside then maybe you should bring it to a really good mechanic and have it gone over from A-Z. The 5.9 is a great motor, it's the rest of the truck I'd be worried about.

OP
OP

1badass1500

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 gas
Yeah the lower plenum gasket has been changed.i drove it from spokane to sandpoint and back in one day and thats about a hiur and 30 mins.with no problems.ive always been a person that worries to much so I was just looking for some insite on how these trucks are put together.i work as a detailer at a dodge store so they have done all the work to the truck so far sense I owned it.

dodge dude94

Millennial Boomer
Reaction score
Ram Year
1998 Ram 1500
Engine
5.9 Magnum
Yeah the lower plenum gasket has been changed.i drove it from spokane to sandpoint and back in one day and thats about a hiur and 30 mins.with no problems.ive always been a person that worries to much so I was just looking for some insite on how these trucks are put together.i work as a detailer at a dodge store so they have done all the work to the truck so far sense I owned it.

Haha, you and I are exactly the same. Go over the fluids and stuff make sure everything is up to ***** and you should be good.

B-g-K

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Ecodiesel
If its going good... Sack up and drive that baby! If not go with credit card in hand to enterprise or hertz, with your dealership rate and rent a whip.

OP
OP

1badass1500

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 gas
Thanks guys I think im going to have the trans flushed and oil changed and just do it.

dodge dude94

Millennial Boomer
Reaction score
Ram Year
1998 Ram 1500
Engine
5.9 Magnum
No, no trans. flush. Just a fluid/filter replacement and band adjustment. You NEVER flush a transmission who's history you don't know.

dodge dude94

Millennial Boomer
Reaction score
Ram Year
1998 Ram 1500
Engine
5.9 Magnum
Because they have a bad habit of loosening crap that is either A) holding your transmission together or B) loosening crap that circulates in your oil later, thereby doing even more bad things to it.

A fluid/filter change and a band adjustment will be sufficient.