Engine Rebuild/Swap

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Nathan_Smith

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V8 5.9
Hi all

I have a 98 1500 with the 5.9 liter. I have not had any problems with it other than it leaks and burns oil like crazy. Not sure if it's worth a rebuild or a full swap. It has 290000 miles on it, and not sure what the previous own has done to it. If I swap it what do you guys recommend, and where to get it from.

Thanks

dapepper9

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L V8
I say do a compression test. If comp is good, do the plenum fix outlined at the top of the performance page. Cheapest solution.

However if compression is low or out of spec you could go either way. Myself i would probably swap to minimize the labor bit there is something nice about a fresh rebuild

MADDOG

Out Exploring Arizona
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
I agree. Do a compression test, write down the readings you get. A low pressure reading is either a valve stem seal or it is rings. A valve seal is pretty easy to fix, the rings mean a rebuild.

If you want to get a rebuilt 5.9L LA engine there are several good outfits to deal with. You can get complete rebuilt shortblocks from S&J Engines, Jasper, LowMileageParts.com (reman or slightly used) Steve White Motors, etc...

Also, you can get full rebuild kits from a large number of suppliers online as well.

And don't forget your local shops, if any, who can do a rebuild for you.

Frankly, if it was me and I had a low compression engine with that many miles, I'd either rebuild it entirely or use it as a core for a remanned engine with a warranty.

Good luck!

dapepper9

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L V8
I agree. Do a compression test, write down the readings you get. A low pressure reading is either a valve stem seal or it is rings. A valve seal is pretty easy to fix, the rings mean a rebuild.

If you want to get a rebuilt 5.9L Magnum engine there are several good outfits to deal with. You can get complete rebuilt shortblocks from S&J Engines, Jasper, LowMileageParts.com (reman or slightly used) Steve White Motors, etc...

Also, you can get full rebuild kits from a large number of suppliers online as well.

And don't forget your local shops, if any, who can do a rebuild for you.

Frankly, if it was me and I had a low compression engine with that many miles, I'd either rebuild it entirely or use it as a core for a remanned engine with a warranty.

Good luck!

Fixed