Engine Replacement

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Dwprog

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.2 liter
My engine on my 1999 RAM 1500 went out, sorta.
Cylinder 8 has zero compression. It still runs, but definitely runs rough. There is only 111K miles on it.
Anyways, I was considering just using this engine to teach myself how to either rebuild or replace. My experience is not that great. I have never done engine work before. Most I have done was replace the rotors, calipers, and brake lines.
After sitting in the garage for 2 months I was finally able to get an hour of time and removed the valve cover on the left side hoping I would see something noticeable. This is when I realized that I do not have the time to screw with trying to rebuild an engine (if I want to drive it within the next couple years) so I am looking into just either getting it replaced or replacing it myself.
My question is this...
How difficult is it to replace this engine? Should I look into a small block or long block? For someone who has never done this before would it be silly for me to even attempt? I am pretty mechanically inclined so I catch on to things pretty easily, but I'm just concerned that I'll do something that would screw it all up on accident.
Plus I want my damn truck running because I could really use it right now.
Money is an issue as well. I called around and to have a shop do it it would cost as much as the truck is worth, if not more. Roughly $3,200.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks a lot!!

Nick

Max78

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Magnum 5.9
IF you are hard up for cash, I would call around to the local junk yards and see what you can find engine wise, should be plenty out there.

Car-Part.com is a great source of parts already pulled and ready to install.

If you really want to keep it cheap check the you pull it yards, ours here have 8 cylinder engines listed for $189 with all accessories.

IF you are mechanically inclined then it should not be a problem pulling it yourself, I did mine due to a bad freeze plug in the bell housing. I pulled the motor, pulled all the freeze plugs and washed the engine out thoroughly, reinstalled new brass plugs and reinstalled the motor. From start to finish I was done in 12 hours with a last minute radiator replacement.

chrisp2493

Always Modding
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
392 Hemi
Pulling an engine is no easy task. You definitely need access to a hoist or cherry picker. Pick up the service manual for your truck online or at a library. It will give you fairly clear instructions on the entire process part by part. If you are mechanically inclined, it's not all that hard, you just have to take the time to do it right the first time. It definitely won't be quick if it is your first engine. Pulling mine and rebuilding it took over two weeks. Count on more time if you have to send it out to a machine shop. You will almost ALWAYS find more things that need fixed then you expected to. I can promise that. There is a lot of time spent just cleaning your engine as you rebuild it. Pretty much half the time spent is cleaning. Good luck!

dodge dude94

Millennial Boomer
Reaction score
Ram Year
1998 Ram 1500
Engine
5.9 Magnum
Figure out why the jug is dead and you might not have to yank the engine.

More than likely it's merely a cracked cylinder head on that bank. Fairly common on these engines.

dudeman2009

Reaction score
Ram Year
2001 1500 Sport with enough electrical modifications to make my brain hurt
Engine
Magnum 360
Pulling an engine is no easy task. You definitely need access to a hoist or cherry picker. Pick up the service manual for your truck online or at a library. It will give you fairly clear instructions on the entire process part by part. If you are mechanically inclined, it's not all that hard, you just have to take the time to do it right the first time. It definitely won't be quick if it is your first engine. Pulling mine and rebuilding it took over two weeks. Count on more time if you have to send it out to a machine shop. You will almost ALWAYS find more things that need fixed then you expected to. I can promise that. There is a lot of time spent just cleaning your engine as you rebuild it. Pretty much half the time spent is cleaning. Good luck!

Man, I guess I blew through mine. I got a junker truck recently for parts and pulled the engine and trans to rebuild. Engine took a week and a half to get done after work. Now I just have to do the trans, then I can swap them into my daily. A rebuild is definitely not for the faint of heart or inexperienced.

Swapping the engine is another story, an intermediate level individual can get it pulled and replaced within a week given having all the parts up front. It took me 3 days to pull the engine and trans as a unit, swap my trans to the temp junker engine and get both back in the truck. That was back in january in the low single digits F* not C*. That sucked. You need an engine hoist and load leveler, its easier to pull the engine and trans as a unit as well then swap the trans over on the ground. While you're at it, change the cap and rotor, do the plenum, replace the lifters if you want, rockers, idler pulley, tensioner pulley, water pump if you want, freeze plugs if they don't look so great.

Last edited:

chrisp2493

Always Modding
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
392 Hemi
Man, I guess I blew through mine. I got a junker truck recently for parts and pulled the engine and trans to rebuild. Engine took a week and a half to get done after work. Now I just have to do the trans, then I can swap them into my daily.

Well it actually took about 3-1/2 weeks, all after work every day. That was waiting on parts to come, body work, redoing the suspension, and a complete engine rebuild. I'm looking into a short block stroker, I think I can pull the engine, swap parts and reinstall in a few days