Engine whistle help

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Ramman5428

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 360 v8
I have a 98 dodge 2500 the head gasket blew a couple months ago I put new heads exhaust manifolds injectors spark plugs spark plug wires distributor cap and rotor throttle body spacer and thermostat in it since then I have a whistling noise that starts a couple seconds after start up and doesn't go away I've had it smoke tested and the intake sprayed with starting fluid and nothing I took the belt off to see if it was any of the belts and it was still there I'm at a loss anybody have any ideas???

dodge dude94

Millennial Boomer
Reaction score
Ram Year
1998 Ram 1500
Engine
5.9 Magnum
Did you ever put the little round gasket back on the throttle body?

OP
OP
R

Ramman5428

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 360 v8
Hahah that's what I've been telling everyone but now it's getting annoying now I took the spacer off tonight and still have the whistle could it be my plenum gasket?

dodge dude94

Millennial Boomer
Reaction score
Ram Year
1998 Ram 1500
Engine
5.9 Magnum
my Plenum was shot to hell and never made a noise like that. what did tho was the little round felt gasket that sits on the top of the tb

dudeman2009

Reaction score
Ram Year
2001 1500 Sport with enough electrical modifications to make my brain hurt
Engine
Magnum 360
my Plenum was shot to hell and never made a noise like that. what did tho was the little round felt gasket that sits on the top of the tb

+1 to that, my plenum gasket was damaged in four places, it looked like someone tried to jam a thin piece of metal in there. Mine didn't come with that gasket on the throttle body when I bought it. I took a round rubber gasket that was about 2in too long, cut it to the right length. Heated a paper clip section about 1.2in and jammed it into the rubber ends to bridge them together. Before I pushed them flush I dabbed a bit of super glue on the joint. Hasn't whistled since.

OP
OP
R

Ramman5428

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 360 v8
Can anyone post a pic of the little round gasket? I also had some one I work with say it could be my timing chain tensioner he said put a quart of atf 4 in my oil run it for about 100 miles and do an oil change anyone heard of that?

dapepper9

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L V8
This guy.
fastmanv6.jpg

Timing chain tensioner isn't going to whistle. Hell many of these never even had a tensioner (mine included)

Sport

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Magnum
I wouldn't advise mixing ATF with your engine oil. ATF has lots of detergents and probably wouldn't be good for the engine.

dapepper9

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L V8
a quart or less of atf is an old trick that really isn't all that harmful. It's still lubricative enough that in such a small quantity it doesn't harm your oils ability to lubricate (though I wouldn't run it like that all the time) and the detergents are some of the best for cleaning junk out of the engine. No different than seafoam. Actually, it's better

dudeman2009

Reaction score
Ram Year
2001 1500 Sport with enough electrical modifications to make my brain hurt
Engine
Magnum 360
I run about a half quart in every oil change I do. For the first time, i'd put in a quart. Any tranny oil will work, it doesn't have to be the expensive ATF+4 stuff.

It won't hurt anything however if you are worried, you could go with 10W-30 instead of 5W-30, as the trans oil will thin it out just a tad.

The detergents will clean the engine out a bit, however if it has been run with regular oil its whole life it could take 8+ oil changes to notice a difference in carbon buildup.

There is no risk of damage to the internal components, it will filter just fine, as long as you don't overfill the engine it will not froth up.

I've run a half quart in each oil change since I started driving. My instructors when I went to college for diesel technology all said it wont hurt anything and will just keep it clean.

Be warned though, if there is carbon buildup somewhere that is clogging a hole, it will be cleaned out. If that plugged hole is in a gasket, get ready for it to leak eventually.

OP
OP
R

Ramman5428

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 360 v8
Yea I put that back on and I wasn't sure about the atf either that's why I asked. Another thing with the whistle is it is NOT constantly the same pitch when at idle

Rustycowl69

Reaction score
Ram Year
2001 ram 3500
Engine
V10
my 02 intrepid 3.5L has been whistling for some time, usually at part throttle and especially when the engine is cold. Found out tonight that the oem air cleaner box lid outlet was not fully seated into throttle body inlet hose. Reseated the hose properly, tightened the clamp, voila' whistle gone.