Erratic Idle......?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

PinkCamoDodge

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Magnum v8 5.9
Well, here lately my truck hes been idling erraticly. I'll crank her up, and while she's sitting there just idling, the RPM's will go up to a bit over 1,000, then drop back down to the normal level, as if I were revving it., but my foot isn't touching the pedal. It does it in Park, Drive, and I could feel it do it even when I was in Reverse. Any of y'all have any ideas what could be malfunctioning? I dont think it's a huge deal, but it still makes me nervous, as I don't want to get stranded anywhere if the problem excels. Thank you all in advance. Everyone is always so helpful here, and I really appreciate it.

Okiespaniel

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
magnum, 5.9
Probably your idle air control valve, or the passage and plunger are dirty and need cleaning.

The IAC is on the back of your throtle body. You can remove the two torx screws that hold it on and clean the plunger and passage the plunger seats against.

If this doesn't help, you'll likely have to change out the IAC. This is when I recommend a dealer part. Aftermarket IACs suck.

OP
OP
PinkCamoDodge

PinkCamoDodge

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Magnum v8 5.9
Probably your idle air control valve, or the passage and plunger are dirty and need cleaning.

The IAC is on the back of your throtle body. You can remove the two torx screws that hold it on and clean the plunger and passage the plunger seats against.

If this doesn't help, you'll likely have to change out the IAC. This is when I recommend a dealer part. Aftermarket IACs suck.

Thank you so much!

OP
OP
PinkCamoDodge

PinkCamoDodge

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Magnum v8 5.9
Is this something that could cause me to break down at some point? Or does it only affect the idle? I'm gonna call for a price on that part but depending on the cost I may not be able to afford it right away like I'd like to....

SmokedRam

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
It could cause stalling...could cause it to not start at all, sometime you'd have to press the skinny pedal for it to even start.