every 1000 miles i have to clean out distributor cap

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ifyoucantdodgeitramit

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
every thousand miles or so, i have to clean out my distributor cap. I've tried 3 different brands of caps& rotor all same result. i first noticed the problem soon after installing platnum plugs, could it be caused by the plugs, or any other ideas what could cause this?

Okiespaniel

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
magnum, 5.9
I honestly don't now why you'd have to do that? It's probably why you're not getting a response. Well that, and very few people here run platinum plugs in 2nd gens. The trucks don't like 'em.

What are you cleaning out of the cap?

Secondly what brand(s) of caps were you using?

smiley

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 2500 Crew
Engine
6.7L Cummins
I would try OEM cap and OEM plugs and see what happens.

OP
OP
I

ifyoucantdodgeitramit

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
its white crusty stuff on the contacts. it'll start to lack power, then it'll go a little longer, and not want to start for a few cranks, then I clean out the cap and tip of the rotor, and its good again. the cap thats on it now came from the dealership. one i think was bosch, and another cheaper one. I read somewhere on here, the coper champions are the best plug for it... I guess I'll try that, and see what hapens. the contacts in the cap aren't burnt or anything like that just white crust building up on them, so it should be okay to just clean it out again, right? also, I have a gutted cat, and o2 simulator, that wouldnt have anything to do with it, would it?

Chewy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V8
Are they aluminum? Buy a good cap with brass contacts!!! Aluminum oxidizes white so I'm guessing they're aluminum.

Sent from my miniaturizer via tap dancing...

OP
OP
I

ifyoucantdodgeitramit

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
this ones aluminum, second one is brass, first one is aluminum. all fouled up. I just looked up oem cap & rotor online, it comes with a seal that goes around base of cap. none of the other ones at advance did. that could be the problem. also gonna get copper champion plugs. see what happens... thanks for everyones help.

ParrotHead FA

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.2 magnum
I get that white chalky crap on my distributor contacts. However, I only notice it when I change them each year when I do a tuneup, and they have never been bad enough to cause performance issues. But then, I live right on the coast in Florida, and the salt air corrodes everything. Battery terminals usually need to be cleaned every 6 months here. I use the caps with brass inserts on my Ram and GMC suburban, and havent really noticed much corrosion with those. And I run Bosch Platinum 4 plugs in both trucks, and they seem to love them:Big Laugh:
Dave

WhiteExpress

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Typically you get a white chalky issue from a couple of things.

First and foremost is a coil that is too hot. Have you 'upgraded' the coil?
an OE coil, Napa Echlin Cap / Rotor (brass contacts), 7MM plug wires and Autolite Copper plugs should run beautifully for 30,000 miles. Then you'll need new plugs again. Change the wires and cap at 60k.

Unless you're running boost, or a hot high RPM cam, you have really no reason to upgrade the factory ignition. :-D

OP
OP
I

ifyoucantdodgeitramit

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
i put in copper plugs and cap w/ brass contacts. its doing better, but still having issue with cap fouling. the bottom of my coil has a crack, with rust coming out could that be the problem and how do i test it.