exhaust on an 01 5.9

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

anthony01ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
i got a 2001 ram 5.9L it has catts, muffler, 2 1/2 single to y pipe into 2 1/4 over the axl s, i would like it really loud so im thinkin on doing catt back true dual from manifolds all the way back with 2 1/4 with 2 1/2 over the axles, but i dont know how it will sound or throw codes, any one have ideas?

Bigtman07

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 5.9
Well To begin Welcome to the forum!!!

To answer your question if you want loud then just run true duals with it dumped and that will be ungodly loud and drone a lot.

If you are going to run true duals you are gonna have to find a place to relocate your oxygensensors and also move the rear o2 out of the flow to prevent codes. On my 5.9 I have factory y and cat to straight pipes. Y after the cat and straight out the back. not horrible drone not overly loud but still loud. Depending on what kind of loud you are going for will depend on how you want your exhaust ran.

Dumping it out of true duals will probably be the loudest possiblity. What exactly are you wanting?? A good sound that won't annoy you on the highway or something that is more functional??

OP
OP
A

anthony01ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
it has 2 catts off the manifolds with a o2 on each side of it, i dont know if it is stock or not, but im looking for decent tone, all the way out the back with 45's, also something that has good tone when going down the highway, but also something that is loud as hell and tells chev's whats up lol
but i dont know whats a good pipe size for dodges-thanks

Bigtman07

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 5.9
Unless dodge changed the exhaust should only be one cat? Luke can ya help me out bud? I have good tone down the highway without drone sounds good to me and is loud and proud. I will say rolles tips tone down the cackle. But if you like cackle get straight out tips. I have 2 3/8 I think on mine with 4 inch stainless tips
Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

OP
OP
A

anthony01ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
yeah i was confused when i stumbled accross 2 catts, but i do like the crackle alot and thank you for your help

Bigtman07

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 5.9
I don't mind cackle it's just in my town everyone cackles in their chevs and fords. So I wanted to be different. Mine still cackles but its more of a low sound cackle.

OP
OP
A

anthony01ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
same in my town, the cackle is very known from the chev;s and different is always good

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
1Popeye