Exhaust help

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Dreadnaught

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L V8 Gas
Alright so I have a 2001 Ram 2500 sadly with the 5.9L V8 Gas. I'm going to do a cold air intake and a couple other mods, however I want to end up doing a nice exhaust. My current exhaust is probably 5 months from falling off. A friend told me I could do open headers and end up essentially straight piping it without a muffler, not a short throw, a full length exhaust with no cat and no muffler, to lose the backpressure and get a bit more performance out of the truck. I know a decent amount however im out of my league here, and know almost nothing on the exhaust system. Is there anyone who could help me attempt to find a system that would sound nicer and give me some performance? (I have also gone to autozone and that did not help me)

jbmobbs

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 360
I'd definitely keep a catalytic converter. If you want more flow with great sound and great preformance gain get a Magnaflow high flow converter, I went with the borla xr1 muffler with 3" pipe from the cat all the way back to a 5"tip single exit. It sounds great imo and I get compliments all the time. I came from a hollow cat, with 2.5 " pipe and a busted glass pack with dual tailpipes and 5" tips sounded good but killed preformance and mpgs

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Max78

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Magnum 5.9
Going straight pipe with no cat will be LOUD, it will also pop and crackle a lot!

If you are looking to get a good setup the above is a good recommendation. However if you are on a tighter budget and don’t want to spend $100+ on just a muffler like me I would recommend a Dynomax Super Turbo, cheap with a life time warranty.

jbmobbs

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 360
Going straight pipe with no cat will be LOUD, it will also pop and crackle a lot!

If you are looking to get a good setup the above is a good recommendation. However if you are on a tighter budget and don’t want to spend $100+ on just a muffler like me I would recommend a Dynomax Super Turbo, cheap with a life time warranty.
Imho.... straight pipes sound like teenage kid rigged hammered ass. But as I said that's my opinion lmao

dapepper9

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L V8
I agree with the above suggestions. You can get away with no cat without losing performance if you run a single 2.5" pipe rather than dual pipes but even then it's not optimal. High flow cats are fairly cheap anyways. If you want loud and aggressive there's plenty of mufflers out there that will give you that without the annoying straight pipe sound. Carven, Borla, Magnaflow are all good examples. Dynomax has good stuff. A lot of people like Flowmaster (idk why, i hate em).

jbmobbs

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 360
I agree with the above suggestions. You can get away with no cat without losing performance if you run a single 2.5" pipe rather than dual pipes but even then it's not optimal. High flow cats are fairly cheap anyways. If you want loud and aggressive there's plenty of mufflers out there that will give you that without the annoying straight pipe sound. Carven, Borla, Magnaflow are all good examples. Dynomax has good stuff. A lot of people like Flowmaster (idk why, i hate em).
You hate flowmaster cause they rust out within a year lol atleast that's why I hate them........ aka rustmaster lmao

dudeman2009

Reaction score
Ram Year
2001 1500 Sport with enough electrical modifications to make my brain hurt
Engine
Magnum 360
Its been said pretty good so far. I like magnaflow, you can barely hear the truck inside the cab at idle, and you can sort of hear it going down the highway, enough to enjoy every now and then, but not enough to stop you from thinking or holding a conversation. From the outside, it has a nice low tone at idle that doesn't sound at all like some of those fart cans. When you hit the gas the thing roars, sounds like its gonna take your girl for a real night out.

Some of that is my own little flavor.

As for the CAI, forget it, they are a waste of money, the factory fender intake does a really nice job and getting yourself a decent air filter will give you more of a performance boost than any CAI. That does not hold true for a true ram air intake, but then you have an intake right behind or below the bumper, too much risk for crap to get in IMO. Ram air from the hood will get the most performance, but its also expensive to have it done and time consuming to do it yourself, someone else on here did, you might try searching for that if you really want to change up the intake, his looked pretty nice if I remember.

dapepper9

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L V8
You hate flowmaster cause they rust out within a year lol atleast that's why I hate them........ aka rustmaster lmao

Not a fan of the sound usually either though i bet my longtubes would change that. Idk. Stock manifolds or shortys no thanks.

And yeah unless you want the pretty look of a cold air kit, drop in filter will do the same

Yeret

The Village Drunk
Reaction score
Under the hood fixing/breaking something.
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Magnum
I love the look of my 10x2 open element filter. Sure, it's not the most efficient thing but I love the whooshing sound of the engine sucking in air under throttle plus the simplistic look complements my lack of AC components. My engine looks about as old school as an MPI engine can, LOL.

The deal only cost me something like 30 bucks. I paid more for the K&N disk filter later which probably wasn't necessary but man, that sucker looks AWESOME with fresh oil and a polished lid.

In regards to exhaust, everyone I know tries to go twice-pipes whenever they can. My opinion is single for low-end, double for top-end. A 5,000 pound vehicle with an automatic tranny and OEM-spec torque converter really needs as much low-end as it can to get it off the line without feeling like a total dog. My truck will never see anything other than a single-pipe setup.

And I'll say the same thing that I always say when people start talking modding the Magnum engines: save your money, get a tune. There are much bigger restrictions than the exhaust in a Magnum engine...

Shadow_Death

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi

I hate them because they drone once you get on the highway. I want wub wub wub not oooooooooooooooooooooooo. :naughty:

Most of the exhaust videos I've seen for the Dynomax mufflers have been pretty good. So I think that's the direction I'll be going with my truck. I just strongly advise OP doesn't go with Dronemaster.. err I mean Flowmaster.