Exhaust problems after tranny drop

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Mudslinger

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L
I dropped my transmission this weekend to r&r my torque converter, and besides having to stretch the frame to get the cross member out I didn't really run into any issues... Until I tried to bolt the exhaust back up. I'm thinking I have some custom exhaust on it from a cheap shop because from the y pipe to the tail pipe is all one piece i.e. it's all welded together. I was able to unbolt it from the manifold and drop the front end and swing it out of the way, but the crazy bends at the rear axle completely prevented me from removing it without putting the truck on a lift. Anyways, bolting it back up the y pipe fit alright on the drivers side but the passenger side is off by about an inch and I can't for the life of me get it to line up. The height is fine but the y pipe sits an inch towards the passenger front wheel from the exhaust manifold. Any suggestions?

dudeman2009

Reaction score
Ram Year
2001 1500 Sport with enough electrical modifications to make my brain hurt
Engine
Magnum 360
Bend it back, either with a ratchet strap or if its close enough a beefy screwdriver stuck through the holes in both flanges and pry them inline until you can get a bolt through the other hole.

dapepper9

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L V8
sounds like the issues i had with shorty header install with completely factory y pipe. What happens is years of hot/cold cycles warps it and makes it wanna spread. What i ended up doing was getting new bolts that were threaded the whole way rather than halfway, bolting the passenger side up first because the driver side being so long gives you way more room for flex, and using ratchet straps. This pulled the pipe over slightly but also down and wasn't quite lined up do i also used my jack and some 1x6s to push it up and wedged them between the frame and pipe. This pushed it up and line it up much better. Using a combo of good air powered impact in bursts and hammering the wood up more and more it brought it right up perfect. Snugged them ******* tight and knocked the wood back out. Lasted year and a half or 2 years until i did longtubes