Extended Crank

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Needaram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Ive had this problem for months. When my truck sits for awhile like overnight especially after a cooler night It cranks more than it should. Its a normal crank not slow or anything.

Ive changed
Fuel Pump
Cap/Rotor
Plugs
Ign. Coil

Any ideas guys/gals

Thanks

MADDOG

Out Exploring Arizona
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Check that injector up in the TBI at the top of the intake manifold. It may be clogged up or wore out. You might just need a new injector.

ktm1217

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.2L 318ci Magnum
I have the same problem with my truck ! lol ive done the fuel pump, plugs, wires, cap, rotor, fuel pressure regulator, rear 02 sensor, tps, iac motor, crank positioning sensor, and i think thats it lol either way, i still have the problem. it does it when it sits for more than like 20-30 mins maybe..? but if you ever figure it out, id be glad to know what the trick is lol

SmokedRam

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Check that injector up in the TBI at the top of the intake manifold. It may be clogged up or wore out. You might just need a new injector.

What injector are you referring to? The Magnum 5.2 is an MPI fuel delivery system, there isnt an injector in or on the throttle body.

Last edited:

the codes

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Magnum 5.2
mine does this when it's sat about a full 24 hours. it sat all day pretty much so I'll try to get a vid tomorrow if it does it

Tapatalk Addict

OP
OP
Needaram

Needaram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Idk what injector hes talking about.

the codes

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Magnum 5.2
iv been thinking a msd ignition box would help fix this problem

Tapatalk Addict

suzukiquadrider

Reaction score
Ram Year
2000 , 2004
Engine
cummins 5.9, 6.6 duramax
check fuel regulator.

Bigtman07

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 5.9
The Injectors are actually in the intake. We don't have TBI we have EFI. Just for info. I personally have never seen this happen. My truck does it sometimes int he winter but that's cause my battery is junk.

Okiespaniel

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
magnum, 5.9
Well I checked my factory service manual...

It suggests the you would need to run a diagnostic test on your fuel system for leakdown issues.
When cold, your engine should be a 0 psi pressure, however the fuel pump should bring it to pressure (49.2 psi).
The tests use a fuel pressure guage and special t hose fitting to check for leaking injectors or the fuel pump pressiure regulator/filter assembly.

Let me ask you...before you to turn the key to start, how long does the pump run? It should take about 2 seconds maybe 3 to pressurize the system. If it runs longer than that I would suspect a leakdown issue.

Even on new pumps, specially aftermarkets...poor quality can give you a bad assembly.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Needaram

Needaram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Well I checked my factory service manual...

It suggests the you would need to run a diagnostic test on your fuel system for leakdown issues.
When cold, your engine should be a 0 psi pressure, however the fuel pump should bring it to pressure (49.2 psi).
The tests use a fuel pressure guage and special t hose fitting to check for leaking injectors or the fuel pump pressiure regulator/filter assembly.

Let me ask you...before you to turn the key to start, how long does the pump run? It should take about 2 seconds maybe 3 to pressurize the system. If it runs longer than that I would suspect a leakdown issue.

Even on new pumps, specially aftermarkets...poor quality can give you a bad assembly.

Pump runs about 2 seconds. And I have a OEM replacement in it.

Okiespaniel

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
magnum, 5.9
I would still recommend a leakdown test...you may have a leaking injector.

It will certainly beat throwing more parts at the problem.

ktm1217

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.2L 318ci Magnum
Did ya ever figure out what the problem was on your truck needaram??

jlb

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
CTD
The pump pressurizing the fuel lines wouldn't necessarily be able to force all the air out of the lines, just bring the pressure up, so it would still take a couple cranks for the fuel to get to the injector. I think a leakdown test is indeed the thing to do.

OP
OP
Needaram

Needaram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I havnt had time to do a leakdown test sorry guys been busy lol

Luddy13

Reaction score
Ram Year
1996 1500
Engine
5.2 magnum
i have the exact same issue except with mine itll run for a second then die and if you dont keep your foot on the throttle for a good minute itll stall out. i already did distributor cap and rotor, plugs and wires, iac, tps, fuel pump (done last year after it died). if anybody has figured this out i would really like to know cause its driving me nuts