Extended Crank

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

96dak99ramphil

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
318 5.2L
Has anyone figured this problem out i have a 99 ram and a 96 dakota both have 5.2l and both have long crank times ive changed fuel pump crank and cam sensors dis cap rotor button wires and plugs on dakota and stil has long crank i did leak test on injectors today on the ram and found to be leakin the pressure off i pulled injectors out of intake and found two could visibly see dripage out of so i put two new ones in did fine when i went to leave work and cranked good then after sittin a hour had long crank again im a mechanic and have never had any issues like this before and have tried so many things on the dakota i dont want to throw the money away again on the ram

MagSport

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
If it's taking a long time to crank then there is probably another leak in the system. You may try looking at the fuel pump seal as well as looking through the lines going from the fuel tank to the injectors to check for anymore leaks.

positiveimpakt

Reaction score
Ram Year
1998 1500 4x4
Engine
5.9 360 Mag
I have the same problem with my truck ! lol ive done the fuel pump, plugs, wires, cap, rotor, fuel pressure regulator, rear 02 sensor, tps, iac motor, crank positioning sensor, and i think thats it lol either way, i still have the problem. it does it when it sits for more than like 20-30 mins maybe..? but if you ever figure it out, id be glad to know what the trick is lol

you will think im crazy but unbolt one side of your fuel rail and bolt it back down should give you 1 start with no pedal assist then go back to its bullo sht cranking.

I am beginning to think I have a hole in the straw some place and the pump is air raiding the fuel before it sends it down the rail.

makes me feel good I am not 100% alone on this issue. I too replaced all 3 manifold sensors fuel pump plugs cap rotar cam sensor 02's o rings like wtf!

Ramcummins4th

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 ram Hemi 4x2 1500
Engine
Hemi 5.7
My dealershio told me its the TIMP....2015 ram 1500 44k miles...outta Warranty here.. what did you find out. Mine is on hot days . When cold its ok just hot days