Few problems. Need help!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

01rammer1500

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I just picked up a 2000 ram parts truck. While driving it home, a strange high pitch squeal/whine sound happened. (not a pully) its coming from the back of the engine and gets quieter as it revs up.

The truck has the pcv valves deleted. Theres alot of suction coming from the valve covers, is this normal or did i buy a blown up parts truck?

Sent from my LG-D850 using Tapatalk

MagSport

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I just picked up a 2000 ram parts truck. While driving it home, a strange high pitch squeal/whine sound happened. (not a pully) its coming from the back of the engine and gets quieter as it revs up.

The truck has the pcv valves deleted. Theres alot of suction coming from the valve covers, is this normal or did i buy a blown up parts truck?

Replace the pcv valve and see what it does. It's never a good idea to run without pcv valves, especially with the tendency for these motors to eat plenum gaskets and everything else. Does the sound sound like a turbo or a supercharger? If so you may have a vacuum leak because of lack of those valves.
Edit: do you mean the egr valve delete? If that's the case, check your delete plate for a worn gasket or blown seal. That could cause what you're hearing.

Last edited:
OP
OP

01rammer1500

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Replace the pcv valve and see what it does. It's never a good idea to run without pcv valves, especially with the tendency for these motors to eat plenum gaskets and everything else. Does the sound sound like a turbo or a supercharger? If so you may have a vacuum leak because of lack of those valves.
Edit: do you mean the egr valve delete? If that's the case, check your delete plate for a worn gasket or blown seal. That could cause what you're hearing.
It kind of sounds like a supercharger. But it still makes the sound even if i cover up where the pcv valves go.

MagSport

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Then you have a vacuum leak somewhere. Easiest way to find; use carb cleaner and spray short bursts around the intake until you hear the truck idle up. When it idles up wherever you just sprayed has a leaking gasket and should be replaced

OP
OP

01rammer1500

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
It has brand new intake gaskets. Thats why im so comfused. I torqued everything to spec and its still doing it.

OP
OP

01rammer1500

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
If i plug the passenger side pcv vale, the noise stops

OP
OP

01rammer1500

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
The pcv valve on the passenger side is sucking in a bunch of air. Is it supposed to???

MagSport

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
The actual valve is sucking air? Is it still hooked to the intake or just sitting in the valve cover? What about the driver side line coming out of the driver side valve cover, is it hooked up to the filter housing or to the intake?

OP
OP

01rammer1500

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
They both just had a little air filter on them. I bought 2 new pcv valves and hooked them up correctly.

If i take the hose off of the passenger side pcv vlave, it is sucking air about like a vaccume cleaner. The driver side one is not sucking any air if i take the line off.

MagSport

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
They both just had a little air filter on them. I bought 2 new pcv valves and hooked them up correctly.

If i take the hose off of the passenger side pcv vlave, it is sucking air about like a vaccume cleaner. The driver side one is not sucking any air if i take the line off.

Make sure the driver side line is hooked to the air hat and the passenger side is hooked to the intake.

OP
OP

01rammer1500

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Make sure the driver side line is hooked to the air hat and the passenger side is hooked to the intake.
They are, tge passenger side one is sucking in alot of air. Is that normal?

MagSport

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Yes it's supposed to, the intake sucks air through the pcv valve creating air circulation and keeping your crankcase ventilated. Without the pcv valve you will get a lot of blow by and if it's severe enough (By Blocking the ports) you could unseat the piston rings. Make sure when you pull the line off of the valve that the line tries to suck your hand in.

OP
OP

01rammer1500

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Ok. So the pcv system is working then. Why does the sound stop if the pvc is pluged? Does this for sure mean its a vaccume leak?

MagSport

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Ok. So the pcv system is working then. Why does the sound stop if the pvc is pluged? Does this for sure mean its a vaccume leak?

Is it still making the sound with the pcv system set up correctly?

OP
OP

01rammer1500

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Yes. It still makes the sound. I tested the plenum with carb cleaner like mentioned. And it all tested out fine. So i installed new injector o-rings, still no better.

I had the belt completely off of it so i can tell its not one of the pulleys.

Could it be an internal bearing?

OP
OP

01rammer1500

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Turns out it was the plenum gasket. It had the kit from Hughes engines, but the engine some how sucked the coating off of the metal gasket

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
1Popeye