First truck. Need some help

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

01rammer1500

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hello guys! I just got my first ever truck, I've always been a dodge guy so I ended up with a 2001 Dodge Ram 1500 Laramie edition with the 5.2l 318 engine. The truck has its check engine light on, so I had the code read to find out its a vacume leak. the truck is getting between 10.5 to 11mpg driving it very very easily and it doesn't have much get up and go. Could all of this be because of the leak? The truck is very very solid and clean. So it doesn't seem to have had a rough life. It has 134k miles on it also. Any help would be greatly appreciated!:favorites13:

ADudeOnSkis

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
318/5.2 Magnum
Welcome to rf!

First thing to check with these trucks is a plenum leak, see the sticky at the top of this section for more info on that. Need more info about the truck to tell if that's crappy mpg... what size tires? Gearing? Trans? Stuff like that. But it could very well be because of a leak.

swillest

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Welcome to RF!

Plenum gasket's are known to fail. Got my kit ready to do mine myself this weekend! 30$ from Rock Auto. Check all vacuum lines for leaks and I'd guess your plenum is broken.

Any other symptoms?

rammanriley20

Reaction score
Ram Year
1999 Ram 1500
Engine
5.9 Mag
if your worried about the power the 5.2 isnt gonna have much. for trucks this size im not impressed with the 318's.

OP
OP

01rammer1500

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Welcome to rf!

First thing to check with these trucks is a plenum leak, see the sticky at the top of this section for more info on that. Need more info about the truck to tell if that's crappy mpg... what size tires? Gearing? Trans? Stuff like that. But it could very well be because of a leak.

The truck is 100% stock. 31" tires' I don't know what gears it has either to be honest. I just changed the air filter yesterday. The air filter was brown and had an oil spot on the top. Also, the throttle body is dirty and full of sludge. I cleaned out what I could by hand. I don't know how old the spark plugs are, but I'm going to change the plugs and wires this weekend hopefully. I've went over every hose under the hood and none appear to be damaged or leaking. But some hoses run through the wire harness so I can't be sure it's not a vacuum hose until I open the wire harness. The engine does suck air from somewhere unusual. If I rev it up by hand I can hear it sucking in air.

OP
OP

01rammer1500

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Also, what spark plugs are the best to run with these motors?

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk 2

OP
OP

01rammer1500

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Is there a certain plug that is best? Or just anything copper?

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk 2

BBartow

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L Magnum
Its like asking which oil is best. Everyone has their own preferences. I use Champions. Autolite and Bosch are also popular.

ADudeOnSkis

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
318/5.2 Magnum
Autolite and Champions seem to be the most preferred for plugs, I've heard of some people having problems with Bosch, but a brand doesnt get to be that big for making crappy products (I guess).

Sludgy/dirty throttle body? Vacuum leak? That kind of MPG? Start with a plenum replacement. DodgeDude and Merc are great sources of info on this, check out DDs thread at the top for more info, then read mine (If not plenum then what) for some good info. Then watch this walkthrough on youtube several times, it REALLY helped me out. Make sure you torque everything right, remember there are more than one components that are in inch lbs, not foot lbs, and DONT try and convert inchlb to footlb. Rent the proper tools if you dont have them.

After that, if the problem still persists, start looking into fuel delivery. The pump units in these trucks aren't known for their longevity, although they are much less common of an issue than that damn plenum.

You may also need to replace the three sensors on your throttle body, but try cleaning the TPS and IAC before you replace anything (they aren't expensive, but certainly more so than a can of carb cleaner...). Also check your PCV valve, as these can often cause similar symptoms to what you're describing.

What I would do (and wish I had done) was do the plenum job and cleaning job, establish a baseline for what the truck feels like stock, then start looking into simple/basic mods to improve MPG and driveability. Throttle body mod, exhaust, programmer (Hemifevers SCT seems to be the most liked around here), cold air intake (although there is still debate on weather or not these really help, some people have success, some don't), cap rotor plugs and wires, oil change (Like BBartow said, everyone has their preferences, although I've heard more than one person claim they saw a significant jump in MPG with Amsoil) potentially with a flush if you don't know the vehicle history and what weight/type has been run in it, and most importantly KEEP YOUR FOOT OUT OF IT! The single biggest mpg effector on a properly running vehicle that YOU have control over is your foot. Be gentile, and you could see upwards of 18mpg (some claim more, I claim shenanigans).

Also, don't expect it to get the mpgs of a prius or subi, or even newer trucks. The original 318 was designed when gas was pretty cheap, so keep in mind that it was never intended to be a gas friendly engine.

Hope that helps get you started in the right direction, this place is full of very very knowledgeable people. Just remember that everyone will have their own opinion and own way of doing things, so take it all in stride.

dodge dude94

Millennial Boomer
Reaction score
Ram Year
1998 Ram 1500
Engine
5.9 Magnum
Autolite and Champions seem to be the most preferred for plugs, I've heard of some people having problems with Bosch, but a brand doesnt get to be that big for making crappy products (I guess).

Sludgy/dirty throttle body? Vacuum leak? That kind of MPG? Start with a plenum replacement. DodgeDude and Merc are great sources of info on this, check out DDs thread at the top for more info, then read mine (If not plenum then what) for some good info. Then watch this walkthrough on youtube several times, it REALLY helped me out. Make sure you torque everything right, remember there are more than one components that are in inch lbs, not foot lbs, and DONT try and convert inchlb to footlb. Rent the proper tools if you dont have them.

After that, if the problem still persists, start looking into fuel delivery. The pump units in these trucks aren't known for their longevity, although they are much less common of an issue than that damn plenum.

You may also need to replace the three sensors on your throttle body, but try cleaning the TPS and IAC before you replace anything (they aren't expensive, but certainly more so than a can of carb cleaner...). Also check your PCV valve, as these can often cause similar symptoms to what you're describing.

What I would do (and wish I had done) was do the plenum job and cleaning job, establish a baseline for what the truck feels like stock, then start looking into simple/basic mods to improve MPG and driveability. Throttle body mod, exhaust, programmer (Hemifevers SCT seems to be the most liked around here), cold air intake (although there is still debate on weather or not these really help, some people have success, some don't), cap rotor plugs and wires, oil change (Like BBartow said, everyone has their preferences, although I've heard more than one person claim they saw a significant jump in MPG with Amsoil) potentially with a flush if you don't know the vehicle history and what weight/type has been run in it, and most importantly KEEP YOUR FOOT OUT OF IT! The single biggest mpg effector on a properly running vehicle that YOU have control over is your foot. Be gentile, and you could see upwards of 18mpg (some claim more, I claim shenanigans).

Also, don't expect it to get the mpgs of a prius or subi, or even newer trucks. The original 318 was designed when gas was pretty cheap, so keep in mind that it was never intended to be a gas friendly engine.

Hope that helps get you started in the right direction, this place is full of very very knowledgeable people. Just remember that everyone will have their own opinion and own way of doing things, so take it all in stride.

DudeSki has been learning well.

+1 to everything he's posted.

ADudeOnSkis

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
318/5.2 Magnum
Doesn't hurt that you and I are fairly active around here I guess. :crazy:

I just looked for a smilie for horn tooting... no luck.

In all seriousness though dudes, thanks for all the wisdom.

15mpg is about what I'm getting, and I have hacked up tires, sloppy u joints, and I like hearing my exhaust :D. And I pass like an *******.

Merc225hp

Reaction score
Ram Year
truck
Engine
gas
With the old speed limits I was getting 14 or so, now who knows 10-12 maybe.

dodge dude94

Millennial Boomer
Reaction score
Ram Year
1998 Ram 1500
Engine
5.9 Magnum
I just looked for a smilie for horn tooting... no luck.

In all seriousness though dudes, thanks for all the wisdom.

15mpg is about what I'm getting, and I have hacked up tires, sloppy u joints, and I like hearing my exhaust :D. And I pass like an *******.

Must be that primo Cali gas. :laughing1:

I get a high of about 14 if I drive sanely, if I keep up with speed limits and traffic I get 12.5 I think part of my problem is my transmission, I think it's been slipping for a while.:crazy:

ADudeOnSkis

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
318/5.2 Magnum
Usually somewhere between 11-12 here.
With that setup and a 360? Hats off to you man.

Must be that primo Cali gas. :laughing1:

I get a high of about 14 if I drive sanely, if I keep up with speed limits and traffic I get 12.5 I think part of my problem is my transmission, I think it's been slipping for a while.:crazy:

Actually I think our primo gas does less for mpg and more for fueling our ********... I paid $2.78 yesterday and felt good about it. Which is sad because I remember paying $1.19 when I started driving.

Love this thread jacking... op let us know what you end up doing!

Last edited:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
1Popeye