Florida Evacuee Needing Assistance in Newport, TN

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Bgg286

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Magnum 5.2L
Hey guys,

My name is Braian, and I've been a long time follower of this forum since I bought my truck 3 years ago, and have seen how kind this community is. With the help of the information I've found on this forum, I've kept my truck going this long after the previous owner thought it was done. I drive a 1998 Ram 1500 Laramie Extended Cab, with the 318.

I'm in a bit of a predicament now. My family and I just evacuated from Miami to a hotel in Newport, TN due to Hurricane Irma with everything packed into my truck. Problem is, my transmission is damn near shot. We made it most of the way here without OD, sometimes without even 3rd gear. I want to do a transmission fluid and filter change, as well as replace/clean the governor solenoid, but don't have a place to do it. I did this just over 2 years ago, and it seems to have finally given up.

Is there anyone in the area that is willing to lend me a driveway in which I could do these repairs? I can't do it in the parking lot, and I can't afford to take it to a shop at this time either. I'm not sure it will make it all the way back to Miami in its current condition. Any help or any leads are greatly appreciated.

Thank you very much,

Braian

dodge dude94

Millennial Boomer
Reaction score
Ram Year
1998 Ram 1500
Engine
5.9 Magnum
I've got a couple buddies in TN, I'm checking with them to see if they're nearby you.

dudeman2009

Reaction score
Ram Year
2001 1500 Sport with enough electrical modifications to make my brain hurt
Engine
Magnum 360
Sorry to hear. If you were near Michigan i'd offer my hand and driveway.

Mpgrimm2

Preferred Vendor
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 1500 (5th Gen)
Engine
5.7L
I'm not in TN but I will see if I know anyone close enough to help

M² Mods - From my non Flammable S7!

OP
OP
B

Bgg286

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Magnum 5.2L
Hey guys, I ended up asking a shop down the road if I could use their parking lot. They let me work back there and gave me advice. I replaced the filter, fluid, governor pressure sensor and solenoid as well as put a bottle of stop slip in it. Hoping it holds up until Miami. When I pulled up to the shop, the truck wouldn't even go in reverse it was so shot. Afterward, it seemed to be functioning well. Keeping my fingers crossed now.

Huge shout out to Scotty and Charles from Newport Pit Stop Quick Lube for all the help!!!