found this in my oil pan!?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

kavadi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hi, thanks for the add, i'm from Belgium and i have a 5.9 1500 dodge ram.
i'm rebuilding her and today i wanted to replace my oil pump because the oil presure falls away and i have taken the oil pan off and found this part in the oil pump piece where the oil sucks in the pump.. can someone thell me where its from and if this is terrible? i have no cleu.
thanks and sorry if i type someting wrong :)

Attachments

• DSC00549 (2).jpg
    DSC00549 (2).jpg
    98.3 KB · Views: 48

RamV10

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V10
Check & make sure all your rod bolts are on. Hard to tell where it is from. Could of it been dropped in?
If you have oil pressure dropping you need to check conditions of bearings.
How many miles?

PCA4208

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Probably a piece of the oil pump itself. Are you saying it was in the tube connected to the pump? Pull apart your pump and see if it fits anywhere. Might be why the pressure drops.

dodge dude94

Millennial Boomer
Reaction score
Ram Year
1998 Ram 1500
Engine
5.9 Magnum
I'm with PCA, me thinks it's a part of the pump.

OP
OP
K

kavadi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
144.00miles and bearings are off and will order them tomorow, they are bad..
hope its from the pump but it was in the tube before the filter, maybe its been dropped in, tomorrow i will pull the pump apart
thanks

PCA4208

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I'd bet its a part of the pressure relief system in the pump. Hence why your pressure falls away. Replace your bearings, put a new pump in and then prime the engine. This means when everything is back together, remove the wire from the ignition coil to the distributor, crank the engine for a few seconds at a time until the gauge shows pressure. Then connect it all back, and start her up.

OP
OP
K

kavadi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
today i replaced the bearings and put in a new high volume pump, i pulled the old pump apart and found no meaning for the plug, i cleaned the tube for re use on the new one and found a second plug in the same place, before the tube screen with a rubber seal..??
i am getting sceared now i hope it has no meaning with the alignment of the crankshaft ore something like that? tommorow i will put in some oil 20w50, and prime the engine... and test ride her

Attachments

• DSC00550.jpg
    DSC00550.jpg
    93.1 KB · Views: 26

twooldfarmers

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Laramie Crew 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
do you suppose this is a rudimentary 'anti drain back' valve ?

if this was positioned in the line so that when the engine is shut off the valve could fall back down onto a seat of some sort and stop the oil from above from falling back down through the pump into the pan

but this seems pretty crude to be used as an anti drain back method