Fuel Pressure Regulator

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ktm1217

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.2L 318ci Magnum
As most of you already know, Ive been tryin to tackle this startin issue with my 99 Ram 5.2. I picked up a new Fuel Pressure Regulator from Advance for $108. Put that in Tuesday, and still have the problem. So, so far I have a new fuel pump, regulator, TPS, cleaned the IAC, and a new rear O2 sensor, I think thats everything. But i still have the problem. Ive tested the IAC in school and there are no problems with it. Im kinda startin to think its the injectors, or one of them at least. Any other ideas??

bannerman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 V8
As I indicated in one of your previous posts, I have the exact same problem. I have replaced many of the same things you have. This weekend, I was going to look at the injectors, as well as opening up the computer. A mechanic buddy told me that he had some Ram vans in his shop that the computer had malfunctioned and caused similar problems. He said it's fairly easy to disconnect and check it.

OP
OP
K

ktm1217

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.2L 318ci Magnum
Yeah i know theres a few guys out there with the same problem but none of us have figured it out yet lol but if you do figure yours out, please let me know what you did to fix it. Im really startin to lean toward the injectors, but idk how to check or test em to see if theyre leakin..

bannerman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 V8
My neighbor mentioned to me the other day that he thought that if fuel didn't seem to be leaking from anywhere, and you've replaced all the parts you and I have, then maybe it's a flooding issue instead of a fuel starvation issue, because once I get mine started when it acts up, it runs perfectly. Going to have to do a little research into how this could happen, and I will let you know. It's been doing this on and off for almost two years now and it's getting pretty old.

OP
OP
K

ktm1217

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.2L 318ci Magnum
My neighbor mentioned to me the other day that he thought that if fuel didn't seem to be leaking from anywhere, and you've replaced all the parts you and I have, then maybe it's a flooding issue instead of a fuel starvation issue, because once I get mine started when it acts up, it runs perfectly. Going to have to do a little research into how this could happen, and I will let you know. It's been doing this on and off for almost two years now and it's getting pretty old.
Yeah, definitely. I know the feeling lol Ive had my truck for a little over a year now and im really gettin tired of it. Ive had a couple guys on here suggest maybe an injector leakin down or something. I thought about replacing all of the injector O-rings, but my shop teacher said that wouldnt cause the problem. I did bring my truck into shop class a month or so ago and hooked up a fuel pressure gauge on the schraider valve on the fuel rail. With the key on, engine off, pressure jumped to about 50psi but then noticeably started to bleed down to 0psi. With the truck running, pressure was about 48psi. I may just take it down to the local dodge dealership and have them play with it. Id really love to get it fixed though!

bannerman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 V8
Got a code for camshaft position sensor. Manual says that one will not throw a check engine light for my year truck (1995). The guy at the parts store says it is called something else (pickup coil, maybe?). Makes sense though. If the whole distributor was bad, it would cut out when running, but the sensor (being heat soaked like I think it is) would only be affected during startup when the engine is warm. You might want to try that, if you haven't already.

OP
OP
K

ktm1217

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.2L 318ci Magnum
Got a code for camshaft position sensor. Manual says that one will not throw a check engine light for my year truck (1995). The guy at the parts store says it is called something else (pickup coil, maybe?). Makes sense though. If the whole distributor was bad, it would cut out when running, but the sensor (being heat soaked like I think it is) would only be affected during startup when the engine is warm. You might want to try that, if you haven't already.
Thanks so much for the reply! My truck wont throw the CEL on either...I pulled the bubl for it bc the guy before me hollowed out the cat so it was constantly on anyway so i just pulled the bulb. I have scanned my truck though and didnt have any codes that i know of...i could always scan it again though i suppose. But what exactly is wrong with your truck, the cam sensor or the coil? And did it fix the problem?

BoostedGS

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I know this is an old thread but I'm bumping it cause I'm having the same issues on my 00 Ram 1500 360. I've replaced the Coil, Cap, Rotor, Plugs, Wires, TPS and IAC sensors. Ive done a Fuel Pressure test and at Idle it holds 50 PSI even while reeving it. But when I turn the key to run it goes to 50 and then immediately starts dropping to 0. I'm going to Ohm out the Injectors today after work, check and 02 Sensor and then if all that looked good, was going to replace the Pressure Regulator.

Has anyone actually found the fix for this issue?