Fuel Pump?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

sabre

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
1996 Ram 1500 4x4 5.2
gas gauge has been showing empty within an hour after filling for over a year, use odometer to keep track of fuel. Today while driving it died on me almost like when I do run out of gas but backfired and was not out of gas. started back up a few minutes later and drove less than a mile and it did it again and pulled over and would not start back up. let sit 5 hours came back with 5 gallons of fuel and it backfired/loud boom but did not start. When turning key off after pumping pedal and trying to start it, It sounds like it wants to try but them backfires or just doesn't start. wondering if its fuel related or electrical or.... please help

Johnn123

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Welcome to RF.

You can put a pressure gauge on the fuel rail to check for pressure in the fuel before and during starting.

+1 you need to find out the fuel pressure (should be 48-50psi) and if your getting spark or not. Something is missing if it wont fire. Can you hear the fuel pump priming when you turn the key forward? I am not sure otherwise.