Ghetto turbo set up?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bdemutis

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9l 360 gas
I was thinking of making a ghetto turbo set up taking a junk yard turbo drilling a pet **** into the oil pan welding my own exhaust bracket onto my header and buying a universal intercooler. I know you say why would I want to do this and I say just for the fun of it ***** and giggles. I was thinking of trying to run 4-6 psi nothing to big on a stock motor. Question is has any one ever tried this before I know people do it on ricers but I never see any one do it to a truck.

moparman

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Ram 2500
Engine
Youll need to add coolant feed and return lines along with oil feed and return. Fuel injectors will need to be upgraded to something bigger along with a bigger fuel pump or an inline pump. Plumbing it all to make it work is a tedious task. You would only be able to run 7-8psi tops before things start to break

Sent from my Galaxy S3 using Tapatalk 2

dodge dude94

Millennial Boomer
Reaction score
Ram Year
1998 Ram 1500
Engine
5.9 Magnum
I can tell you right now you will blow the stock intake manifold out within probably 1000mi...more than likely sooner.

OP
OP
B

bdemutis

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9l 360 gas
Youll need to add coolant feed and return lines along with oil feed and return. Fuel injectors will need to be upgraded to something bigger along with a bigger fuel pump or an inline pump. Plumbing it all to make it work is a tedious task. You would only be able to run 7-8psi tops before things start to break

For oil feed and return I was going to tap the oil pan and why would I need bigger fuel pump and injectors I was just going to run 3-5 psi just for fun I mean that's not to much strain on stock parts.

OP
OP
B

bdemutis

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9l 360 gas
I can tell you right now you will blow the stock intake manifold out within probably 1000mi...more than likely sooner.
Not with 3-5 psi I could see if I tried going with 12psi I would blow the head gasket and intake. With 3-5 psi I wont even see a difference it will just be funny to hear the turbo spool and have a waste gate on it. All the guys I work with and guys who come into my work I pitched the idea to them they told me not to go over 10psi without changing anything on it. Even the performance tuning guy told me to stay under 10 so I think with a little turbo off a 6cylinder car I would be safe.

dodge dude94

Millennial Boomer
Reaction score
Ram Year
1998 Ram 1500
Engine
5.9 Magnum
Not with 3-5 psi I could see if I tried going with 12psi I would blow the head gasket and intake. With 3-5 psi I wont even see a difference it will just be funny to hear the turbo spool and have a waste gate on it.

I suppose if you fix your plenum, but even with 3psi you're pushing it on a stock kegger.

OP
OP
B

bdemutis

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9l 360 gas
I suppose if you fix your plenum, but even with 3psi you're pushing it on a stock kegger.
I found junk yard keggers for $40 and cheaper so if I blow a kegger I'll get another from a junk yard and take the turbo off and plug my oil pan or get a junk yard one. I mean it seems fairly simple to set the turbo up drill oil pan for oil intake and output make a bracket to mount to my exhaust get a cheap intercooler from ebay and pipe the exhaust intake with exhaust pipe and intercooler with aluminum pipe. I mean I'm pretty sure that's everything besides hooking it to my air intake. It seems pretty simple and straight forward when I think about it I know I have enough room under my hood to fit everything.

moparman

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Ram 2500
Engine
For oil feed and return I was going to tap the oil pan and why would I need bigger fuel pump and injectors I was just going to run 3-5 psi just for fun I mean that's not to much strain on stock parts.

Theres no pressure in the oil pan to feed the turbo.

Running 3-5 pounds of boost would be a waste of time and money. You could get away with 10psi safely before connecting rods come through the block. Headgaskets would hold at least 25psi but not adding more fuel will lean out under boost and burn a valve or piston. More fuel needs to be added for the more air you would be adding

OP
OP
B

bdemutis

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9l 360 gas
Theres no pressure in the oil pan to feed the turbo.

Running 3-5 pounds of boost would be a waste of time and money. You could get away with 10psi safely before connecting rods come through the block. Headgaskets would hold at least 25psi but not adding more fuel will lean out under boost and burn a valve or piston. More fuel needs to be added for the more air you would be adding

Couldn't I use a small inline pump to feed the turbo oil and 3-5 was just for fun I was just going to build everything out out of junk yard parts for a project this summer for something to do.

PCA4208

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
For the feed. Install a tee into the oil pressure sensor port. One side feeding the turbo, one side on the pressure sensor. Then just make one hole on the pan for a return line.

It's pretty simple really, all until the tuning part of it.

OP
OP
B

bdemutis

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9l 360 gas
For the feed. Install a tee into the oil pressure sensor port. One side feeding the turbo, one side on the pressure sensor. Then just make one hole on the pan for a return line.

It's pretty simple really, all until the tuning part of it.
Yea that's what I thought I don't know any one who will tune a obdi computer except a Honda tuning shop since that's all they really tune is obi I'm guessing I cant run it off my stock computer settings.

OP
OP
B

bdemutis

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9l 360 gas
I guess to tune it I can get a obdi to usb get computer software and tune it that way I don't know if it will work.

PCA4208

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Maybe if you add bigger injectors, but even then, a good tune will suit you well. Sounds like a cool project though.

Redtruck-VA

Reaction score
Ram Year
2003 & 1989 D250 RWD
Engine
Hemi-5.7, 5.9 12v & 24v diesel
If you want some interesting reading. Look up turbo charging a slant six.

dodge dude94

Millennial Boomer
Reaction score
Ram Year
1998 Ram 1500
Engine
5.9 Magnum
The Dodge OBDI computers are a complete pain to tune, much so to the point of people changing to the MegaSquirt.

OP
OP
B

bdemutis

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9l 360 gas
Maybe if you add bigger injectors, but even then, a good tune will suit you well. Sounds like a cool project though.
I wonder if I can run it off a stock tune until I get around to tuning it I just want that turbo whistle lol. I should just sell my truck and get a diesel but I love my truck.

PCA4208

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
If you really want to. There's always the option of converting to a carb setup, then doing the turbo. A blow through carb setup is much more simple than trying to tune OBD1 or fajiggering with megasquirt.

OP
OP
B

bdemutis

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9l 360 gas
If you really want to. There's always the option of converting to a carb setup, then doing the turbo. A blow through carb setup is much more simple than trying to tune OBD1 or fajiggering with megasquirt.
I was trying to do it the cheapest way possible if I can get a carb nice and cheap at a you pull it yard that will fit my truck I definitely will unless I have to have a special carb.