Headers

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RedRamIt

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L 360ci V8 Magnum
I want to put headers on my truck, the exhaust system is stock for a 98 1500 except for a glasspack..what all will I need to replace, and would the performance difference be noticable enough to make it money well spent?

Sorry if that's a dumb question, just never dealt with headers before.

Last edited:

the codes

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Magnum 5.2
Iv heard good things about JBA. Thats what I was gonna get, but I think I have changed my mind to longtubes from pacesetter.

Get a good gasket, I think mls if possible? think thats right..multi layered steel..someone correct me if im wrong.

And stage 8 fasteners will keep the bolts from backing out..ever..most likely

just the addition of headers should be a big improvement, but the more complimenting mods the better.

OP
OP
RedRamIt

RedRamIt

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L 360ci V8 Magnum
Last edited:

96ram1500

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
From my personal experience i wouldn't go with the flowtech headers. I had them for my first pair and in under 2 years they rusted out where the 4 pipes go into the collector at the end of the header and some of the welds even cracked. I installed Gibson ceramic coated headers on my tuck an still have them on. Like Cody said, get your self a good set of gaskets and the Stage 8 header bolts and you'll be set. I put the Stage 8's on mine and they never broke loose yet. And ya, you'll notice a difference in the performance from them, especially if ya do a high flow cat an a performance muffler.

OP
OP
RedRamIt

RedRamIt

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L 360ci V8 Magnum
Thank for the advice man! I was shopping for some when the power went out alarm:(

Tapatalk

the codes

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Magnum 5.2
also, think about getting a e-cutout so you can run your exhaust straight out of the headers when you can bear the loudness :p

the codes

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Magnum 5.2
oh, if you wanna go the cheap route (I plan on doing the same being in college, and iv thought about it) you could get a cheap set, I think the ones on summit for around 200-250 are the pacesetter brand..you could grab those, and if you want a coating on em, you could send em off to jet hot and get them coated for like 100 bucks I think..or any coating company could do em probley, like a local shop.

Can you powdercoat headers? I have no idea hah

OP
OP
RedRamIt

RedRamIt

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L 360ci V8 Magnum
Yeah, I'm in my senior year of high school, sooo I'm definitely taking the cheap route. haha.
I'm not sure but I know they make high heat engine primer and engine paint if you wanted to do them yourself. What's an ecutout?

BlackedOutHemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 & 2012
Engine
5.7L HEMI & 6.7L Cummins
Electric cutout is basically a muffler bypass that you put before the muffler, and can be opened or closed by a remote to be louder or quieter.

I'm not sure even high temp engine paint would hold up on the headers. They get hot.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
RedRamIt

RedRamIt

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L 360ci V8 Magnum
Ahh do you know about how much the electric cutout would run?

I figured some of the high heat engine paint would, I thought I saw a picture of a guy that did his with high heat engine paint on here..I could be wrong though.

the codes

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Magnum 5.2
the race lands run in the 200 range I think, the dmh and others are a little more I think

Tapatalk Addict

BlackedOutHemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 & 2012
Engine
5.7L HEMI & 6.7L Cummins
I paid about $130 for my race land cut out.

OP
OP
RedRamIt

RedRamIt

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L 360ci V8 Magnum
So does the e cutout get welded on to an existing exhaust pipe, when it's closed it uses the normal exhaust pipe and when it's open goes out the cutout?

BlackedOutHemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 & 2012
Engine
5.7L HEMI & 6.7L Cummins
To answer your question, you basically take a section of pipe out of your exhaust about 11" or so long, and then weld or clamp on the cutout in that missing section. It's a y pipe, where one side is an open close and the other replaces the missing pipe to make a complete "circuit" when the cutout is closed.