heater issue

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

billy318

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hey, I'm wondering what the heck is going with my heater. Replaced the rad a while ago, then the water pump went recently. replaced pump and t stat. No heat, and gage only goes to about 1/4 - it used to be in middle. I flushed the heater core, and put another 195 stat in, no difference. Just never gets to operating temp and when I do have some heat, its luke warm. When i put heater on full - cold air again. the heater core hoses are both hot, the heater box around the core is warm/hot. I bled the system, no external leaks, no white smoke. Can anybody offer a suggestion? Thanks.

jbmobbs

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 360
I just fixed this on my ram......the temp dial on the instument panel has a cable going to it. And the cable goes to a door that opens up to let the heat flow through....and the cable came off the swing arm. If u want more info pm me....its behind the glove box. In your 98 it may be behind the air bag. I pulled off my dash cap and did mine lol

SmokedRam

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Try the easy stuff first...did you burp the system after the water pump or tstat installs? If not, do that. If you don't know how to do it, it's really simple.

Park the front of the truck on ramps, or up on an incline in a ditch, a Prirus, whatever it takes to make the radiator cap the highest part of the cooling system. Then, take the radiator cap off after the engine has cooled down. After you take the radiator cap off, crank the engine and let it run with the radiator cap OFF, allowing the thermostat to cycle properly. Doing so, will allow any air bubbles trapped into the system to follow up through the **** on the radiator and into the atmosphere. When you see no bubbles, you're done, add more coolant if needed, replace the cap and go drink a beer or 8....

jbmobbs

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 360
the white arm on top by the heater core it controls how hot and cold it gets when u turn the dial
heatercore2.jpg

jbmobbs

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 360
as adam said try small stuff first. but my 96 ram did the same exact thing and that was the problem lol......my temp gauge still reads about 190 instead of reading 210 as it always did but i did what u did i swapped radiator and waterpump too......i didnt do a thermostat tho.

Okiespaniel

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
magnum, 5.9
I'd say blend door. Your heater recirculates coolant as ong as the engine is running so if both your heater hoses are hot that isn't the issue. The heater core itself is in a seperate compartment in the HVAC
The amount of heat allowed into the HVAC unit is determined by the temp dial/blend door. I would check for loose or cracked vacum hoses, a damaged one way valve or blend door motor damage.

jbmobbs

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 360
I'd say blend door. Your heater recirculates coolant as ong as the engine is running so if both your heater hoses are hot that isn't the issue. The heater core itself is in a seperate compartment in the HVAC
The amount of heat allowed into the HVAC unit is determined by the temp dial/blend door. I would check for loose or cracked vacum hoses, a damaged one way valve or blend door motor damage.

Made a good point. Check some of ur vacum hoses in the dash as well......but sadly our dodges arent up in technology then ***** and the blend door is controlled by the white arm lol.......just tryin to help. Leme know if i get on ur nerves :birgits_tiredcoffee

OP
OP
B

billy318

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
thanks, i did bleed the air, no gurgling at heater area. i checked blend door and cable - seem to work ok. the temp gage goes to about 10 00 - used to be at 12 00. I couldn't find any vacuum leaks or anything. I'll pull the dash etc to get the heater box out and see what i can find ... thanks again