help with the distributor

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

nitto

Reaction score
Ram Year
1999 Dodge 2500
Engine
v10
what is the easiest way to approach getting this distributor off. there is barely any room to work with it any ideas?
(not my truck a friends)
374052_425367954193931_1640136390_n.jpg

Okiespaniel

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
magnum, 5.9
I know I'm being a bit silly for asking...but why do you want to pull it out?

Anyway...remove the dist cap, rotor and cam sensor(just pops out) and theres a clamp with a bolt in it. Take out the bolt and clamp, and it should pull out.

OH...BE SURE YOU MARK THE POSITION OF THE ROTOR AND DISTRIBUTOR BODY IN RELATION TO THE BLOCK (BEFORE YOU REMOVE IT) SO YOU PUT IT BACK THE SAME WAY!

Last edited:
OP
OP
nitto

nitto

Reaction score
Ram Year
1999 Dodge 2500
Engine
v10
its a friends and it needs replaced

Okiespaniel

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
magnum, 5.9
there's really nothing in it to go wrong...no advance unit. Just some bushings to hold the shaft.
Just askin' :)

OP
OP
nitto

nitto

Reaction score
Ram Year
1999 Dodge 2500
Engine
v10
i know how to take the distrub of and everything i just cant get these freaking 2 bolts off with the combo wrench. its a pain to get to

diverjer

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I been thinking I should change my distributor cap, 165,000 and I believe it is original rotor and cap. I have looked back there and can't even see what holds the cap on, I am guessing 2 spring loaded screws I push down and turn.

I am glad I don't want to do more, I think there is a sensor under there for crankshaft, wire runs from flywheel area to distributor???? Not sure, just got a Dodge Ram 1 week ago and learning.

Looks like a real pain in my neck and back to lay across there and do it, but will see.

Designed by some engineer sitting behind a desk their whole life.

OP
OP
nitto

nitto

Reaction score
Ram Year
1999 Dodge 2500
Engine
v10
i replaced it, it actually wasnt to difficult. there are 2 bolts that hold on the cap and you can just use a box wrench 7mm to crack hmm loose then hand loosen em, but you gotta mark everything before, and i had to remove the rotor so i had to make sure i put the new one in exactly the same, there is a DIY I read on how to do it before I did it that I can link you

diverjer

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
i replaced it, it actually wasnt to difficult. there are 2 bolts that hold on the cap and you can just use a box wrench 7mm to crack hmm loose then hand loosen em, but you gotta mark everything before, and i had to remove the rotor so i had to make sure i put the new one in exactly the same, there is a DIY I read on how to do it before I did it that I can link you
If you have the link I would like to look at it. I was hoping it wasn't bolted in, but was like GM spring loaded clips, guess I better get use to Dodge methods. Being bolts and not being able to see them may be a problem. Yes I was going to mark the wires and the rotor should just go on one way, but there again I am thinking GM and Ford.

I will do this when I have the throttle body off, so that may help see back there??

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
joeyoliver45