Help!!!! She won't start

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Dasdingo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
So I just filled up my 97 Ram 1500 (5.2L) with gas. Got her home and there she sat for the day. I just went to start her and nothing doing. She cranks over no problem but it's like she's not getting any gas. I took of the air filter and sprayed some starting fluid down her throat but not even a cough. Any ideas to point me in the right direction?

Thanks

MADDOG

Not RamForum Staff
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Sounds like you have a no spark situation. Pull a plug, lay it close to some metal and crank the engine, watching for some spark.

If no spark, check your coil and/or distributor. The distributor cap could be cracked and has let in water.

Or the coil has given up.

OP
OP
D

Dasdingo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Thanks MADDOG. Will try it.

dapepper9

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L V8
Like Maddog said check the easy things first. Check plugs to see if you're getting spark. If you're not getting spark check the distributor. If it's not the distributor it may be the crankshaft position sensor. If the crank sensor goes your truck will crank but won't fire because the pcm will keep the coil from sending out a signal. The pcm is looking for specific readings and if it doesn't get them it kills ignition and fuel so as to avoid causing more problems.

What you can do is get the new sensor and if it fixes it great and if not put the old back in and take the new back. Some parts stores might not let you do that but my local Oreillys does.

OP
OP
D

Dasdingo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Thanks. I checked the spark and had none. So I guess I should change the crank position sensor 1st? Then the coil 2nd? It looks like the easiest way to the sensor is by taking off the passenger tire and remove the plastic in the wheel well?

dapepper9

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L V8
Thanks. I checked the spark and had none. So I guess I should change the crank position sensor 1st? Then the coil 2nd? It looks like the easiest way to the sensor is by taking off the passenger tire and remove the plastic in the wheel well?

I'd change whichever is cheaper and see if it works. I can't tremendous how much a coil is but from oreillys crank sensor is roughly $55. I recently did mine and i took the air hat off and reached down with an Allen wrench from the top by laying over the intake manifold fan shroud and and radiator support

jblade

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
similar problem

Mine has a similar problem that drives me nuts. Hoping someone has an answer! 01 Ram 1500 with 5.9. Truck runs fine but sometimes after turning it off, it won't start back up! No spark! After setting(sometimes 2 to 3 hours) it starts right up! Doesn't happen in the winter when its cooler. I can let it sit in the sun for a few hours during summer and it won't fire!!! Please explain what's getting HOT....after cooling it starts!!

OP
OP
D

Dasdingo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
The ignition coil just came in from Rockauto. Did the trick. Thanks everyone!!!