High Engine Idle

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

camoman214

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
v8
1999 Ram, 5.9L, auto, 4x4

I just replaced the IAC valve on my truck 'cause it wouldn't idle and figured the IAC was bad as per OBD scan. Now the truck idles at 1800 rpm and I can't get it to idle down to normal. I did the proper IAC adjustment which calls for driving at 40 mph to allow ECM to learn the setting, but that didn't work.

Last edited:

Rogan68

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L Cummins G56 DRW 4WD
verify your TPS setting is correct.

Also, ensure your throttle cable isn't hanging on something, or improperly adjusted.

OP
OP
C

camoman214

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
v8
What should the proper setting?

Last edited:

Rogan68

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L Cummins G56 DRW 4WD
I just checked, and the TPS on the 5.9 is not slotted, therefore, not adjustable. Sorry for the confusion..
If you have, or know someone with a good scanner, they should be able to connect it to the OBD port, and see if the TPS voltage is within spec at idle (I believe it's around .9VDC)

Another thing to check is vacuum lines; ensure you have no leaks anywhere. A vacuum leak can cause a high-idle issue, as well.

OP
OP
C

camoman214

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
v8
Awesome, thanks. I have a scan tool at home, so I will get a voltage reading tonight.

For reference, approximately what is the (IAT) temperature supposed to be at idle after the truck is warmed up?

Rogan68

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L Cummins G56 DRW 4WD
The IAT reading will depend on how hot the intake air is.. I don't have a resistance/voltage scale on the IAT handy. I'd say temp-wise, at operating temperature, +40*F over ambient.

OP
OP
C

camoman214

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
v8
Hey Rogan68, thanks a lot for the reply. TPS was it.

Last edited:
OP
OP
C

camoman214

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
v8
Well I guess I spoke too soon. After replacing the TPS sensor and driving the truck last night, the truck ran fine and idled normal. Today, I started it up and now it's idling high again, just as it was before.

OP
OP
C

camoman214

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
v8
Reset unsuccessful.

Last edited:

Mopar1973Man

Reaction score
Ram Year
1996, 2002
Engine
1996 Dodge 1500 (V8-5.9L) & 2002 Dodge Ram 2500 (5.9L Cummins)
Today I unhooked the battery again for 12 hours to reset the ECM, but still idles high. You said to reseat the TPS.. do you mean just remove it and reinstall or is there a procedure for reseating?

Any other thoughts?

I wish that myth would go away... Unhooking the batteries doesn't reset any computer or erase error codes. Everything is permanently programmed on PROM chips and the code will never be change or altered unless you happen to have a DRBIII tool from dealer.

Disconnecting Batteries and crossing cables - YouTube

The only thing that is lost is throttle calibration.

OP
OP
C

camoman214

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
v8
I wish that myth would go away... Unhooking the batteries doesn't reset any computer or erase error codes. Everything is permanently programmed on PROM chips and the code will never be change or altered unless you happen to have a DRBIII tool from dealer.

Disconnecting Batteries and crossing cables - YouTube

The only thing that is lost is throttle calibration.

Oh, I did not know that. I always thought it would reset and lose the stored info. Do you have any ideas of what I should try next?

Mopar1973Man

Reaction score
Ram Year
1996, 2002
Engine
1996 Dodge 1500 (V8-5.9L) & 2002 Dodge Ram 2500 (5.9L Cummins)
This isn't 100% but the ECT coolant sensor will alter the idle on the Cummins diesel for warm up I assume the same should be true on the V8 gasser series so if the coolant temp is too cold it will idle high and if the coolant temp is too hot it will idle low. This can be verified with a live data tool like a Scangauge II.

As for other thing I would look at vacuum leaks, IAC in the throttle plate, etc... Because technically the throttle plate are closed completely and the fuel/air ratio is controlled by the MAP sensor and O2 sensor to keep a clean idle by giving air or giving fuel so if there is too much air leaking in (vacuum leak) to keep the mixture correct it will add fuel hence a high idle will occur.

As for the battery disconnect... Just think of the PCM like a thumb drive on your laptop... You write information to the thumb drive then remove it and place it in your pocket (battery disconnected) then some time later (even years later) plug it back in and the information is still there just the way you left it. The PCM follows this exactly. The only way to reboot the PCM is turn the key OFF and wait a few minutes and start the truck again the PCM is force to do a reboot and used store programming in PROM (Programable Read Only Memory) which requires a Dodge DRBIII tool to even alter, change or flash entire PCM.

Now I know older vehicle like my 96 dodge has the ability of dropping the error codes with disconnecting the batteries. But this is not fully true either because you might of wiped out the error codes but a flash code 12 remain alerting a tech that you cheated and pulled the battery to hide error codes. So even that is not a fool proof way of erasing...

Last edited:
OP
OP
C

camoman214

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
v8
This isn't 100% but the ECT coolant sensor will alter the idle on the Cummins diesel for warm up I assume the same should be true on the V8 gasser series so if the coolant temp is too cold it will idle high and if the coolant temp is too hot it will idle low. This can be verified with a live data tool like a Scangauge II.

As for other thing I would look at vacuum leaks, IAC in the throttle plate, etc... Because technically the throttle plate are closed completely and the fuel/air ratio is controlled by the MAP sensor and O2 sensor to keep a clean idle by giving air or giving fuel so if there is too much air leaking in (vacuum leak) to keep the mixture correct it will add fuel hence a high idle will occur.

As for the battery disconnect... Just think of the PCM like a thumb drive on your laptop... You write information to the thumb drive then remove it and place it in your pocket (battery disconnected) then some time later (even years later) plug it back in and the information is still there just the way you left it. The PCM follows this exactly. The only way to reboot the PCM is turn the key OFF and wait a few minutes and start the truck again the PCM is force to do a reboot and used store programming in PROM (Programable Read Only Memory) which requires a Dodge DRBIII tool to even alter, change or flash entire PCM.

Now I know older vehicle like my 96 dodge has the ability of dropping the error codes with disconnecting the batteries. But this is not fully true either because you might of wiped out the error codes but a flash code 12 remain alerting a tech that you cheated and pulled the battery to hide error codes. So even that is not a fool proof way of erasing...

This is some great info.

Sorry for my slow reply. I really appreciate everyone's help on this forum. Thanks.

Last edited:
OP
OP
C

camoman214

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
v8
Thanks for all the replies. Turns out there was a frayed wire leading from the IAC to the PCM that caused my high engine idle.

Robert

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7 magnum
try reseting the pcm this worked for my 07 4.7