High pitched ring

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

AustinMerf

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L
I have a 1998 Dodge Ram 1500 with the 5.9L 4x4 it has recently developed a high pitched ringing sound coming from somewhere in the front of the motor. I don't think it's a pulley but I'm not completely sure. It's also burning oil pretty bad. I'm not sure if that related or not. Any thoughts?

sbarron

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
Not enough info. Ringing at idle? Increase with throttle? pitch change? Likely has nothing to do with "burning" oil, though if oil is leaking onto a belt/pulley it could cause noise.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Gr8bawana

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 CTD
Take the belt off and turn all the pulleys by hand and find what you hear.

yoda

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Does the noise continue for a few seconds after the engine is off? I had a 5.9 with the intake pan leaking causing vacuum in the crankcase, sucking air past the front crank seal do this once. Would also explain your oil burning. Was weird for sure.

Harry C

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Magnum
Hi, I recently purchased a '98 Ram 1500 with a 5.9 magnum. It has the high pitched whistle from idle and up. It is more throttle dependant than speed related. I have replaced the PCV valve and run the engine w/o the belt. Sprayed carb and choke around the throttle body and intake gaskets and upper plenum gaskets. Doesn't seem to change the idle. Covering the throttle body doesn't change noise either. Pinching off the PCV line makes no difference, however, if I plug the fresh air side of the system, from valve cover to A/C'er the noise will gradually diminish and stop. The noise does linger a second or two after shutting off engine. There seems to be quite a bit of vacuum on that fresh air hose as well. I don't know if that is normal or not. I'd say almost as much as the PCV line.

Harry C

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Magnum
Does the noise continue for a few seconds after the engine is off? I had a 5.9 with the intake pan leaking causing vacuum in the crankcase, sucking air past the front crank seal do this once. Would also explain your oil burning. Was weird for sure.

Harry C

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Magnum
Hey yoda, You nailed it. I ultimately verified it as a leaking plenum pan, although the gasket was not blown out/sucked in at all. Probably just hard enough to stop it from sealing well. I suspect the rear main was the source of the whistle, since I had a pretty good leak there. I installed a Hughes replacement manifold, noise gone and it runs well. Thanks for the input. Blessings +