Huge problem, please help

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Micciche

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L V8
Alright, so driving today the truck started to hesitate bad, jumping around shifts, not wanting to move when pedal is to the floor, can hear a weird machine whinning sound I guess is how I would describe it from under the truck by the passenger side, got a random over heat, and then it went back to normal op temp right a way.... Any ideas? The truck isn't wanting to get up and move at all and is not drive able the way it is... She's my daily driver so trying to figure this one out hoping one of the guys who I'm always seeing throughing out advise can chime in.. Thanks in advance.

Thinking cat clogged? :puke:

dthrasher

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Magnum 5.9
Might be a filter cause i had a similar problem (mine wasn't quite as bad) and when i got my CAI it got a lot better since my stock filter was almost black.

dodge dude94

Millennial Boomer
Reaction score
Ram Year
1998 Ram 1500
Engine
5.9 Magnum
I think you're on the money by thinking the cat is clogged. The engine attempting to overheat is the prevailing symptom.

OP
OP
M

Micciche

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L V8
Alright, the only way I've been told to check a cat is hitting the side of it and listening for rattle which I've done an heard nothing, and other tired and true methods you guys would suggest?

Last edited:
OP
OP
M

Micciche

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L V8
Might be a filter cause i had a similar problem (mine wasn't quite as bad) and when i got my CAI it got a lot better since my stock filter was almost black.

In running a 14x3 an it's fairly new, nothin wrong in the TB that I can find

OP
OP
M

Micciche

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L V8
Wanted to post the solved, or at least what seems to be the problem so far anyway lol, cat was fine, however torque converter was shot and tranny ate up 2nd gear. As far as the overheat, my guess is truck was working so hard and not shifting so it got hot quick. I'll get the truck back in a week with the tranny and let you guys know if that was it

dodge dude94

Millennial Boomer
Reaction score
Ram Year
1998 Ram 1500
Engine
5.9 Magnum
Good stuff. Hope it all works out for ya! :)

OP
OP
M

Micciche

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L V8
Appreciate it man, me too with how much the damn thing just cost me lol