Hughes f1 airgap reviews wanted

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
Stegs

Stegs

Reaction score
Ram Year
1998 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4
Engine
5.2L 318 C.I.
You will experience less low rpm tq loss with the M1, instant throttle response, the M1 takes to other performance parts great, as I said in my other post works great from idle to WOT. The M1 is a true 2bbl MPI single plane intake, the F1 is a 4bbl dual plane carb intake that uses an adapter plate for the TB and it has had injector bungs cast into it. The M1 was built and flowed for the Magnum motor nothing else.

Edit; As for the Kegger mod either intake will get better results.

great info, very informative! thank you so much

from what ive read here and other forums it sounds like either one is a better choice than what i have now (stock)

by the time you add up everything for the mopar m1 and the huges there is a 3-4 dollar difference...not much at all

I like the idea of the mopar m1, keeping it mopar and having a place for the IAT

but on the other hand, the hughes kit flows slightly more air, and I can have the IAT moved to my cold air intake pipe which will give better readings...making maybe a few more HP

sounds like its kinda personal preference to me....ive read good things here about the m1, but ive read good things on other forums about the hughes

tough choice to say the least

Merc225hp

Reaction score
Ram Year
truck
Engine
gas
great info, very informative! thank you so much

from what ive read here and other forums it sounds like either one is a better choice than what i have now (stock)

by the time you add up everything for the mopar m1 and the huges there is a 3-4 dollar difference...not much at all

I like the idea of the mopar m1, keeping it mopar and having a place for the IAT

but on the other hand, the hughes kit flows slightly more air, and I can have the IAT moved to my cold air intake pipe which will give better readings...making maybe a few more HP

sounds like its kinda personal preference to me....ive read good things here about the m1, but ive read good things on other forums about the hughes

tough choice to say the least

Yes it flows just a bit more thus making the motor lose a little bit more low tq and taking more aftermarket parts to gain it back. The M1 with a SCT tune and 1.7 RR's make for a great combo.

As for gaining a few extra hp by moving the IAT, nope the pcm just adjusts to that.

If you had the 5.9 I would say try the F1 but you have a 5.2 and the F1 might just be too much.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Stegs

Stegs

Reaction score
Ram Year
1998 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4
Engine
5.2L 318 C.I.
Yes it flows just a bit more thus making the motor lose a little bit more low tq and taking more aftermarket parts to gain it back. The M1 with a SCT tune and 1.7 RR's make for a great combo.

As for gaining a few extra hp by moving the IAT, nope the pcm just adjusts to that.

If you had the 5.9 I would say try the F1 but you have a 5.2 and the F1 might just be too much.

yea its a tough call

i have 4.56 gears, brute force intake, sct tuner by hemifever, 2200 stall converter, shift kit and dual exhaust...so i dont think i will be affected by the "low end loss" as much

so now its like which one is going to give me a stronger mid-upper

right now im leaning towards the M1, its a mopar engineered product, has a place for the iat and from the sounds of it will make my truck pull hard from 2000 rpm up to 4000+ rpm

that being said, im waiting for my work bonuses to come in the next week or so...in the mean time i will be shopping prices

Does anybody know the best price on the M1 with everything i need (bolts, nuts, gaskets etc)

edit:
just called 1 of my local dodge dealers...prices were way high
541 for the manifold
78.30 for the install kit
8.30 for attaching bolts
37.15 for gasket set

only thing in stock as the install kit, everything else was 2 weeks backordered or longer

looks like jegs is the cheapest so far

edit again
both dodge dealers have same prices and availability
jegs is cheaper on the manifold itself
summit is cheaper for everything else

i get free shipping from either place, and jegs will price match

dodge dude94

Millennial Boomer
Reaction score
Ram Year
1998 Ram 1500
Engine
5.9 Magnum
If Jegs and Summit are cheaper, order from them. Summit gets stuff moved out quickly too, so that's a plus.

OP
OP
Stegs

Stegs

Reaction score
Ram Year
1998 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4
Engine
5.2L 318 C.I.
If Jegs and Summit are cheaper, order from them. Summit gets stuff moved out quickly too, so that's a plus.

jegs will price match summit...so ill just go thru them

and im in no hurry...im waiting on my bonus which is a week or so out yet

OP
OP
Stegs

Stegs

Reaction score
Ram Year
1998 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4
Engine
5.2L 318 C.I.
OP
OP
Stegs

Stegs

Reaction score
Ram Year
1998 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4
Engine
5.2L 318 C.I.
well an update...ordered the m1 intake early last week, got the final package on Friday

Hope to have it installed this week sometime or next week

I sure hope it don't disappoint ....

ChillyPhil

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.2 Magnum
Give us an update man! This and the 50mm TB is my next upgrades with my 4.88s and posi.

OP
OP
Stegs

Stegs

Reaction score
Ram Year
1998 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4
Engine
5.2L 318 C.I.
sorry guys, lost track of time

I bought the m1, installed it and I will say the truck runs better

I cant compare it to the hughes of course, but a noticeable improvement over factory manifold

Nice part about the mopar m1 is its a clean look, has a place to hook everything back up

As far as performance.....nothing gained or lost on the bottom end (I have 4.56 gears, so its hard to tell)

a stronger pull thru mid range is noticeable....

My truck had a dead spot right when it went into overdrive around 40-45 mph.....it would bog down like crazy, now it keeps on pulling

I like mopar products, they never let me down. Like I said I cant compare this to the hughes, but im going to guess its probably close to the same

looking back, honestly it was a flip of a coin then...its about that now.

Im very happy I did it....the truck thanks me and the mpg seems to up a little...but I quit keeping track

sorry for the late response, I bought a 69 charger with a 440, a lot of my time has been with that.....makes me want to get the truck out again :naughty:

Merc225hp

Reaction score
Ram Year
truck
Engine
gas
Another happy M1 owner :) The Hughes intake I feel suffers more from low end tq loss than the M1 does and takes more mods to get it back. Where as with the M1 none if any is lost and adding more mods just makes it better.

Post some photos of the 69.

dodge dude94

Millennial Boomer
Reaction score
Ram Year
1998 Ram 1500
Engine
5.9 Magnum
Another happy M1 owner :) The Hughes intake I feel suffers more from low end tq loss than the M1 does and takes more mods to get it back. Where as with the M1 none if any is lost and adding more mods just makes it better.

Post some photos of the 69.

Seconded. I love me some Charger and even more big block. :naughty::naughty:

OP
OP
Stegs

Stegs

Reaction score
Ram Year
1998 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4
Engine
5.2L 318 C.I.
ill start by apologizing by not responding back for some time...I try to make it a point to visit my different forums atleast 2-3 times a week. Being a forum, its all about member participation, so sorry guys, I will try to be better and getting back here (as we all should IMO)

well guys as I stated, I cant compare it to the hughes...so it might be better, or it might be worse...I don't know

with the m1, I did not notice any low end loss, but then again I have 4.56 gears....so maybe if I had 3.55 or 3.23 gears it would be more noticeable .???

Anyway, Im happy I did it, I really like it from about 40 mph on.....any highway time I get....the truck just rips....

4.56 gears and a intake that comes alive mid to upper rpm range, with a sct tune and CAI...whoooohoooo :naughty:

here is a couple pics of the charger, been working on it to get it to run just right...I have stumble just off idle, I think the accelerator pump in my factory carb is going bad...so time for a nice new Holley! otherwise the car rips too....440 with 375 HP/480 ft lbs and a suregrip rear.....lets just say its not hard to light them up at all......

sure makes my trucks little 318 seem way more underpowered than before.....but we are talking 122 cubic inches difference too

Remember guys - MOPAR OR NO CAR

interior edited.jpg

phone 623 084.jpg

dodge dude94

Millennial Boomer
Reaction score
Ram Year
1998 Ram 1500
Engine
5.9 Magnum
ill start by apologizing by not responding back for some time...I try to make it a point to visit my different forums atleast 2-3 times a week. Being a forum, its all about member participation, so sorry guys, I will try to be better and getting back here (as we all should IMO)

well guys as I stated, I cant compare it to the hughes...so it might be better, or it might be worse...I don't know

with the m1, I did not notice any low end loss, but then again I have 4.56 gears....so maybe if I had 3.55 or 3.23 gears it would be more noticeable .???

Anyway, Im happy I did it, I really like it from about 40 mph on.....any highway time I get....the truck just rips....

4.56 gears and a intake that comes alive mid to upper rpm range, with a sct tune and CAI...whoooohoooo :naughty:

here is a couple pics of the charger, been working on it to get it to run just right...I have stumble just off idle, I think the accelerator pump in my factory carb is going bad...so time for a nice new Holley! otherwise the car rips too....440 with 375 HP/480 ft lbs and a suregrip rear.....lets just say its not hard to light them up at all......

sure makes my trucks little 318 seem way more underpowered than before.....but we are talking 122 cubic inches difference too

Remember guys - MOPAR OR NO CAR

View attachment 35133

View attachment 35134
Awww man I'm jealous! That is SWEET. Any mods?

OP
OP
Stegs

Stegs

Reaction score
Ram Year
1998 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4
Engine
5.2L 318 C.I.
Awww man I'm jealous! That is SWEET. Any mods?

only "mods" would be a firecore electronic ignition (big help)
and mopar performance valve covers

it originally a r6 red charger with a 383 (335 hp), but the original owner lost the car in divorce, so he blew up the motor before he had to give it back :flipthebird:

3 pistons were hanging along the block when he got done I guess. Its not a numbers matching car at all, but I don't care...its a driver and that's what I really wanted. Something I could drive and upgrade without loosing the #'s matching depreciation.

the 2nd owner bought it, put the 440 in, and had it repaint the turquoise color and put a new vinyl top on it

He did that and finished his "minor restoration" in 1985, and the car sat in a barn under a cover since then. I bought it about 4-5 weeks ago.

First time that car seen the sun since 1985.....So in a way it was a barn find...

Its a sweet car, its been my dream since I was 12, finally had a chance and I couldn't pass it up.

Keep it mopar or no car IMO! of course, the sound and torque of a 440 will give just about anybody goosebumps...

dodge dude94

Millennial Boomer
Reaction score
Ram Year
1998 Ram 1500
Engine
5.9 Magnum
only "mods" would be a firecore electronic ignition (big help)
and mopar performance valve covers

it originally a r6 red charger with a 383 (335 hp), but the original owner lost the car in divorce, so he blew up the motor before he had to give it back :flipthebird:

3 pistons were hanging along the block when he got done I guess. Its not a numbers matching car at all, but I don't care...its a driver and that's what I really wanted. Something I could drive and upgrade without loosing the #'s matching depreciation.

the 2nd owner bought it, put the 440 in, and had it repaint the turquoise color and put a new vinyl top on it

He did that and finished his "minor restoration" in 1985, and the car sat in a barn under a cover since then. I bought it about 4-5 weeks ago.

First time that car seen the sun since 1985.....So in a way it was a barn find...

Its a sweet car, its been my dream since I was 12, finally had a chance and I couldn't pass it up.

Keep it mopar or no car IMO! of course, the sound and torque of a 440 will give just about anybody goosebumps...
I am definitely jealous. Tho I will say I would repaint it the original color. 440 tho......gawd!! :naughty:

OP
OP
Stegs

Stegs

Reaction score
Ram Year
1998 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4
Engine
5.2L 318 C.I.
I am definitely jealous. Tho I will say I would repaint it the original color. 440 tho......gawd!! :naughty:

oh yes, it will be r6 red someday, the paint isn't bad from 5 feet away but its for sure a mid 80s paint job

Im not a fan of the color, I bought it for the condition and low miles (56k original miles!!!!)

oh yea I bought it for the 440 too...and the 727 trans, and the suregrip

Right now im just working on getting it running right, giving it a tuneup, just had the trans fluid and filter changed, along with the bands adjusted right. The small things, new battery, plugs, wires, new igniton, fuel filter...etc

Im about ready to give up on the carter carb....I think its shot...time for a new holley

but yes that 440......the horsepower is nice, but the 480 ft lbs of torque.....that's what gets my blood going. Instantaneous burnouts....poor tires don't stand a prayer. THEY JUST MELT

dodge dude94

Millennial Boomer
Reaction score
Ram Year
1998 Ram 1500
Engine
5.9 Magnum
oh yes, it will be r6 red someday, the paint isn't bad from 5 feet away but its for sure a mid 80s paint job

Im not a fan of the color, I bought it for the condition and low miles (56k original miles!!!!)

oh yea I bought it for the 440 too...and the 727 trans, and the suregrip

Right now im just working on getting it running right, giving it a tuneup, just had the trans fluid and filter changed, along with the bands adjusted right. The small things, new battery, plugs, wires, new igniton, fuel filter...etc

Im about ready to give up on the carter carb....I think its shot...time for a new holley

but yes that 440......the horsepower is nice, but the 480 ft lbs of torque.....that's what gets my blood going. Instantaneous burnouts....poor tires don't stand a prayer. THEY JUST MELT
Stopppit!! You're not helping me here. lol :roflsquared:

I wish I could get my hands on a decent Challenger or Charger.

OP
OP
Stegs

Stegs

Reaction score
Ram Year
1998 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4
Engine
5.2L 318 C.I.
Stopppit!! You're not helping me here. lol :roflsquared:

I wish I could get my hands on a decent Challenger or Charger.

it will come, trust me....just keep your eyes and ears open...chances are once your start asking around, there is probably one not to far from you stashed away.....

the house where I bought this one, I drove past hundreds of times, with no idea what he had in his barn

Ill say this, he has more than 1 mopar in his barns

no more chargers or challengers tho....sorry