If not plenum gasket, then what?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Merc225hp

Reaction score
Ram Year
truck
Engine
gas
Ok thanks. I would pull the front 02's from the pipe and see if that helps.

OP
OP
ADudeOnSkis

ADudeOnSkis

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
318/5.2 Magnum
Ok, drove across CA today to the coast (depressing drive that is, what a dump) and its lurching at idle and under light load. I can see the whole thing in my mind, fouled IAC due to plenum gasket taking a :poop:... so, now that I'm at my parents and have a rather large work space and toolkit, I'm going to dive into it tomorrow.

Problem is I have a limited window of time to do all this, and getting the hughes kit overnighted is going to cost almost as much as the part itself. Would it be incredibly stupid to just replace the gasket and clean evening really well?

Merc225hp

Reaction score
Ram Year
truck
Engine
gas
You don't "have" to change out the steel plenum pan with an aluminum one, many chose to but that's their choice in the matter.

Pick up a new intake gasket set, new intake manifold bolts, new bypass hose and get at it.

OP
OP
ADudeOnSkis

ADudeOnSkis

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
318/5.2 Magnum
I think that is the route I'll go, since I want to do the intake upgrade in the spring (or whenever I have the $$$). Guess its off to the parts shop.
Also, while I'm in there, I plan on at least doing the TB mod, possibly Kegger Mod too. Anything I should pick up for doing those? I know I need a new TB gasket...

dodge dude94

Millennial Boomer
Reaction score
Ram Year
1998 Ram 1500
Engine
5.9 Magnum
If you're going to do the intake upgrade, don't bother spending the time to do the kegger mod, just mod the throttle body.

OP
OP
ADudeOnSkis

ADudeOnSkis

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
318/5.2 Magnum
Okay getting started on the plenum job, do I need to drain the block coolant, or just the radiator? Haynes manual says do the entire thing, radiator and both sides of the block, but everything I can find online says nothing about the block drain and just the radiator.

Johnn123

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
^Yup, no need to drain block or anythin else. Empty the rad and you'll be good. I just always used a pair of channel locks to loosen off the band clamp thingy (thats what i call it) and drain the coolant out into a nice clean bucket, and when done back in it goes.

OP
OP
ADudeOnSkis

ADudeOnSkis

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
318/5.2 Magnum
Rgr that. We ended up pulling one of the block plugs, but couldnt get the other off. Oh well.

OP
OP
ADudeOnSkis

ADudeOnSkis

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
318/5.2 Magnum
A lot of torquing and swearing but it came. I'm finally to the point where i can really see into the intake, holy CRAP its fcked up innare! Is there a trick to getting the injectors out? They're pretty stuck, and coming from a world of working on cameras and lenses I have the mindset of "if its stuck its supposed to be."... was tinking of using a tiny bit of food grade silicone spray on each?

Merc225hp

Reaction score
Ram Year
truck
Engine
gas
You can try the lube it might help you, other than that you just have to work them out of the intake. Some have outright had to use a prybar to get the injectors and rails out.

Keep at it :)

OP
OP
ADudeOnSkis

ADudeOnSkis

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
318/5.2 Magnum
Word. Read on dodge talk to use wd40, tried it, letting it sit for a minute.

Johnn123

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Why pull the injectors? I would get a fuel line disconnect tool and leave the rails and injectors on the intake. I did what you are doing, and that was honestly the biggest PITA job Ive ever done on a vehicle. Getting those injectors seated back in and not leaking took quite a bit of time, and being middle of january the winter temps did not help. Make sure you buy new injector seals if you do, you will most likely need one or two.

OP
OP
ADudeOnSkis

ADudeOnSkis

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
318/5.2 Magnum
I was thinking about it, but honestly I wanted to be able to clean every frickin inch of the intake. And i figured it was probably a good idea to replace the o rings anyways.