If not plenum gasket, then what?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Johnn123

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
I was thinking about it, but honestly I wanted to be able to clean every frickin inch of the intake. And i figured it was probably a good idea to replace the o rings anyways.

Fair enough man, be sure to buy extra seals when ya replace them. If its cold where youre working be sure to keep the seals warm or itll be difficult to get them on the injectors and to seal right.

OP
OP
ADudeOnSkis

ADudeOnSkis

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
318/5.2 Magnum
So this went down last night....

picture.php

That looks healthy.

picture.php

Ahhhh... much better.

picture.php

Didn't get a before picture of the kegger, but it wasn't exactly that same color... it was more like the first pic of the pan.

Also replaced cap and rotor, and re routed the plug wires.

Last edited:

dodge dude94

Millennial Boomer
Reaction score
Ram Year
1998 Ram 1500
Engine
5.9 Magnum
So this went down last night....

AACrBkKDioBlDocipgpsmZP5a

That looks healthy.

AAAUQcyx4e5hNQaNGPCi4aGsa

Ahhhh... much better.

20141109_194218.jpg

Didn't get a before picture of the kegger, but it wasn't exactly that same color... it was more like the first pic of the pan.

Also replaced cap and rotor, and re routed the plug wires.

Good deal, man! :)

Merc225hp

Reaction score
Ram Year
truck
Engine
gas
No no you need to take that RTV outta there much too thick and the wrong stuff to use. If you are going to use anything on that gasket use Gasket cinch, air-craft gasket sealer or OMC perfect seal.

OP
OP
ADudeOnSkis

ADudeOnSkis

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
318/5.2 Magnum
No no you need to take that RTV outta there much too thick and the wrong stuff to use. If you are going to use anything on that gasket use Gasket cinch, air-craft gasket sealer or OMC perfect seal.

Well, that sucks. Its in and torqued, set overnight. *****. Did I completely screw myself? Used it because Haynes manual said to, as did my wrench head dad whos been helping me on this.

Last edited:

Merc225hp

Reaction score
Ram Year
truck
Engine
gas
Up to you Sir but I would indeed take it apart and redo it using any of the products I listed, (I hate to say it but if you do it using one of those products the plenum gasket will last a very long time). More is not better when it comes to using silicone sealer with a gasket, just a thin film on each side at most. You could reuse the intake bolts but not the intake gaskets.

Btw good work :)

OP
OP
ADudeOnSkis

ADudeOnSkis

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
318/5.2 Magnum
Fudge it. I'm planning on doing an intake upgrade within the next year, and don't have time to wait for another gasket to get shipped to me. If it lasts that long that's fine by me. And the rails and vacuum hoses are all back on. Thanks for pointing it out though, learn something every day.

Wrenching is fun!

dodge dude94

Millennial Boomer
Reaction score
Ram Year
1998 Ram 1500
Engine
5.9 Magnum
It'll last long enough for you to get your upgrade parts together me thinks. Mark is thinking more of a permanent fix. lol :)

Merc225hp

Reaction score
Ram Year
truck
Engine
gas
If there was excess rtv on the outside after the plenum plate was tq'd down and not wiped off I would be concerned about it getting to the oil pump/anywhere oil goes. Excess rtv on the inside of the intake has a very good chance of getting sucked into a jug and burned off, maybe get stuck in a valve for a millisecond.

Last edited:

dodge dude94

Millennial Boomer
Reaction score
Ram Year
1998 Ram 1500
Engine
5.9 Magnum
If there was excess rtv on the outside after the plenum plate was tq'd down and not wiped off I would be concerned about it getting to the oil pump/anywhere oil goes. Excess rtv on the inside of the intake has a very good chance of getting sucked into a jug and burned off, maybe get stuck in a valve for a millisecond.

True on both accounts, sir.

OP
OP
ADudeOnSkis

ADudeOnSkis

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
318/5.2 Magnum
I actually did a pretty banger job of cleaning the outside off. I figured that couldn't hurt. So high five for me, I got something right on my own! :waytogo:

Now as I'm waiting for another pair of hands, I decided to start chasing the effed up wiring for my fog lights. Whoever the **** did it can :**** Eater: :biggun: for the mess they made right next to the power distribution box. Jesus.

Thanks for your help so far guys, really appreciate it!

OP
OP
ADudeOnSkis

ADudeOnSkis

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
318/5.2 Magnum
Well, that fixed something... no more hesitation and surging, got my throttle response back, and she's idling pretty smoothly, but now I can feel slop in my u joint and possibly rear diff, guess the surging was making it... and the cel came on. About two minutes before my fuel door light. Which won't go off. Hmmmmm... slowly but surely.

Last edited: