Installing intake manifold?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

goodtodoo

Reaction score
Ram Year
1996 indy pace truck
Engine
So I just need to know if there are any tricks of the trade for this install. Also got the plenum gasket from Napa. thank for your help.

OP
OP
G

goodtodoo

Reaction score
Ram Year
1996 indy pace truck
Engine
And I did read through the sticky. Not much info there really.

OP
OP
G

goodtodoo

Reaction score
Ram Year
1996 indy pace truck
Engine
So the intake end gaskets are cork. Should I use those? or a bead of RTV?

dudeman2009

Reaction score
Ram Year
2001 1500 Sport with enough electrical modifications to make my brain hurt
Engine
Magnum 360
So the intake end gaskets are cork. Should I use those? or a bead of RTV?

Only the cheap ones are cork. Felpro uses a silicon gasket with an aluminum center for rigidity. No RTV is needed if you use the silicon gasket but is highly recommended if cork is used.

OP
OP
G

goodtodoo

Reaction score
Ram Year
1996 indy pace truck
Engine
It is Felpro set. Told the person for a 96 5.9 this what I got.

Yeret

The Village Drunk
Reaction score
Under the hood fixing/breaking something.
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Magnum
I've never seen or heard of a cork Fel-Pro gasket...

When I ordered my plenum repair kit from Hughes, I paid extra for the Fel-Pro gaskets and the set included the manifold gaskets. They were the semi-ridged but still flexy rubbery blue whatever the hell Fel-Pro uses. Definitely NOT cork.

OP
OP
G

goodtodoo

Reaction score
Ram Year
1996 indy pace truck
Engine
Ya I haven,t seen cork either. Its funny tho, the set came with a nice plenum gasket and I bought one too cause the person said it didnt come with the intake set. I will get my $25 for that.

OP
OP
G

goodtodoo

Reaction score
Ram Year
1996 indy pace truck
Engine
Oh and another thing. The truck sat for about a year without the intake and all the rockers where off it in a box. Will the lifters need any attention? Or can I just bolt it back together? THanks.

dudeman2009

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Magnum 360
Was it exposed to the outside? Hood up or off? If there is any chance that water got in you're in for some issues down the road. If you're lucky rust only developed in the drain channels and sump. If this was recently you can run auto-rx through it a couple times and that will work better than most things.

As long as the lifters aren't making any strange noises they should be fine.

OP
OP
G

goodtodoo

Reaction score
Ram Year
1996 indy pace truck
Engine
The truck did sit for a year the PO told me. But when I bought it it was all coverd up real good.

OP
OP
G

goodtodoo

Reaction score
Ram Year
1996 indy pace truck
Engine
So this is the Felpro part# ms 95392. I have called all around and this is the only intake gasket set for the Magnum engines. They all come with the cork gaskets. My engine builder friend says to just run a thick bead of RTV instead.

dudeman2009

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Magnum 360
Whoever told you that only cork gaskets are available is wrong. Felpro as far as i'm aware doesn't make cork gaskets for this application. They might have in the past and you just got old stock. But i'd just get the silicone gaskets and forget the RTV, I personally don't like RTV if its at all possible to avoid it. It makes a mess and can be a pain to clean up later.

If you really want, just put a thin layer of RTV along the length and then a pea sized bead at either end to seal the tips of the cork gaskets.

OP
OP
G

goodtodoo

Reaction score
Ram Year
1996 indy pace truck
Engine
Ok so I got this manifold gasket thing figured out. The Ms39392-1 is the one I have now. It is listed for the 2001 magnum. I still need to pick up new manifold bolts. What grade should I use? Thanks.

dudeman2009

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Magnum 360
Ok so I got this manifold gasket thing figured out. The Ms39392-1 is the one I have now. It is listed for the 2001 magnum. I still need to pick up new manifold bolts. What grade should I use? Thanks.

Get grade 8 for their coating, that will prevent sticking. If you get low alloy stainless steel or just thin zinc coated non-graded fasteners, make absolutely sure you put a thin coating of anti-seize on the threads before install or you could knacker those things in there for good. Also, unless you get high alloy stainless or grade 8 replacements torque to spec with an in/lbs wrench. If you have a feel for torque on your wrenches, you will be ok doing it by hand with high alloy stainless or grade 8, but you don't want to overtighten cheaper bolts.

Edit: Stock bolts are fine just make sure you torque them down and coat with a thin layer of anti-seize to prevent galling next time someone attempts to remove them.

Last edited:

Merc225hp

Reaction score
Ram Year
truck
Engine
gas
All this info and more is in the sticky thread, including all the right part numbers. Stick to the stock intake bolts they are cheap right from the dodge parts bin. And u better use a tq wrench on these bolt or u risk cracking the already thin cast heads. Felpro makes more than one kit for these motors !!!!

The sticky was info about the problem not a diy on how to do the job.

OP
OP
G

goodtodoo

Reaction score
Ram Year
1996 indy pace truck
Engine
So I went down to the dodge dealer looking for intake bolts, never again will I soure bolts from them. They wanted $36 plus tax. I then went down to the local bolt supply house, got the intake bolts with washers and also picked up Allen head header bolts. $7 out the door.