Intercooler piping

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

e_hartzell17

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.2 318
As some may know I'm building a custom remote mount turbo for my 5.2 magnum. I'm trying to run my piping WITHOUT the intercooler at the moment and the problem I'm running into is my piping is literally 1" away from my headers and to make it all worse it's the rubber boot that's that close to the headers IMG_4274.JPG

dudeman2009

Reaction score
Ram Year
2001 1500 Sport with enough electrical modifications to make my brain hurt
Engine
Magnum 360
I think I see a use for those ever hated metallic heat shields.

Or an interesting chance to make water cooled turbo piping.

OP
OP
e_hartzell17

e_hartzell17

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.2 318
I was thinking header wrap and an aluminum heat sheild

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
e_hartzell17

e_hartzell17

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.2 318
IMG_4274.JPG this is the best I got at the moment

OP
OP
e_hartzell17

e_hartzell17

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.2 318
Yes

dapepper9

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L V8
Off the top of my head could run it through the fender well or have the rubber boot higher up by using a longer piece of pipe there

OP
OP
e_hartzell17

e_hartzell17

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.2 318
Off the top of my head could run it through the fender well or have the rubber boot higher up by using a longer piece of pipe there

What vac line would I tap for my boost guage??

dudeman2009

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Magnum 360
What vac line would I tap for my boost guage??

I'd pick one thats larger like PCV hose size, not those small ones that run the A/C doors and 4x4.

You could possibly use the brake booster line, its plenty large enough to allow the gauge to respond quickly while also being free from oil and grime. Its also easy to get to and the only time there is usage of that line is during braking, which i'm guessing you don't care about boost pressure being accurate when you are depressing the brake pedal. If you use that one, once the brake pedal is depressed the line will return to manifold pressure pretty quickly, you'd only have a split second of funny business while using the brakes.

You could put it before the throttle plate, but personally I would be more interested at what my pressures are right there where the air is moving into the cylinders.

OP
OP
e_hartzell17

e_hartzell17

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.2 318
I'd pick one thats larger like PCV hose size, not those small ones that run the A/C doors and 4x4.

You could possibly use the brake booster line, its plenty large enough to allow the gauge to respond quickly while also being free from oil and grime. Its also easy to get to and the only time there is usage of that line is during braking, which i'm guessing you don't care about boost pressure being accurate when you are depressing the brake pedal. If you use that one, once the brake pedal is depressed the line will return to manifold pressure pretty quickly, you'd only have a split second of funny business while using the brakes.

You could put it before the throttle plate, but personally I would be more interested at what my pressures are right there where the air is moving into the cylinders.

Uhhhh no a small vac line

dudeman2009

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Magnum 360
Uhhhh no a small vac line

Then if you dont have 4x4 then pull the plug off the nipple on the passenger side and use that, otherwise get a T-fitting and hook in to the A/C vacuum nipple off the manifold.

dapepper9

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L V8
Brain fart, since you're going to have to run a line for the new MAP sensor anyways, T in there. Will allow you to be able to watch exactly what your sensor is seeing that way

Max78

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Magnum 5.9
For that joint i would weld a elbow there if you can first.

If thats not possible and you want a quick and dirty solution look into an ebay turbo blanket to go around the intercooler piping. I would have suggested you wrap your exhaust manifold but doing so will make your rusty header situation a lot worse.

As for vacuum line, connect it engine side of the throttle body, so somwhere on the intake manifold.