Issue's with truck wanting to start.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MellisaP.

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V8 5.9
1999 dodge ram 1500 V8 5.9L over 200k miles on it. I had my cat. replaced about a year ago, ever since then I have been having issue's with it wanting to die if it idle's to long and I will hear a hissing noise like a vaccum hose's is off (have looked at them and they all look good and tight) and a high fuel smell. Today it flat out refuse to start I had a "No buS" apper where my odometer read's. So I turned the key to the on position and after letting it sit for a min .my gas gauge and my voltage meater was reading again. (like it reset or something) So I tried to start it. It started but wont stay started till about a mile of driveing then I can let off the gas and not worrie about it dieing. unless I am waiting at a light to long. Also the past week I have been having my odometer go down to zero then back to where it supposed to be, or jumping all the way to 120. also have had the abs and brake light's come on while this happen's. (not every time but has started the past few day's) I have replaced my fuel pump and fuel filter since it is built into the pump! I have done the spark plug's and wire's, as I mentioned above had the cat replaced. I have cleaned my injector's with seafoam. I am getting ready to replace my battery cable's and manually clean the injector's. Oh and I have notice that my light's will get bright and then go back. Any help would be nice as I am about at my last straw.

OP
OP
M

MellisaP.

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V8 5.9
Title "not wanting to start***"

OP
OP
M

MellisaP.

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V8 5.9
you think it could be bad and need's replace or just cleaned really good ?

OP
OP
M

MellisaP.

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V8 5.9
and thank you for the welcome sorry i have had a really! bad day lol truck problem's = bad day lol

OP
OP
M

MellisaP.

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V8 5.9
ok thank you and i'll let ya know if it work :) this is my first Dodge had her for 5 yrs and I love it but I have always worked on Ford's or Chevy's and this baby is testing me lol

quietpeen

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 TRX
Engine
Hellcat
Welcome to RF. I could be wrong but it sounds like you could also have an electrical issue

Mopar1973Man

Reaction score
Ram Year
1996, 2002
Engine
1996 Dodge 1500 (V8-5.9L) & 2002 Dodge Ram 2500 (5.9L Cummins)
Welcome to RF...

I had a "No buS" apper where my odometer read's.

Now I need you to check for error codes I'm sure there is going to be one. As for the NO BUS message that is a CCD network error. CCD network problems are a bit tricky to track down but I've a got a write up that might help out a bit... Just ignore the Cummins ECM in the wiring diagram.

Mopar1973Man's Dodge Cummins Articles - CCD (Chrysler Collision Detection) Data Bus

CCD-Network-Wiring.jpg

Okiespaniel

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
magnum, 5.9
1999 dodge ram 1500 V8 5.9L over 200k miles on it. I had my cat. replaced about a year ago, ever since then I have been having issue's with it wanting to die if it idle's to long and I will hear a hissing noise like a vaccum hose's is off (have looked at them and they all look good and tight) and a high fuel smell. Today it flat out refuse to start I had a "No buS" apper where my odometer read's. So I turned the key to the on position and after letting it sit for a min .my gas gauge and my voltage meater was reading again. (like it reset or something) So I tried to start it. It started but wont stay started till about a mile of driveing then I can let off the gas and not worrie about it dieing. unless I am waiting at a light to long. Also the past week I have been having my odometer go down to zero then back to where it supposed to be, or jumping all the way to 120. also have had the abs and brake light's come on while this happen's. (not every time but has started the past few day's) I have replaced my fuel pump and fuel filter since it is built into the pump! I have done the spark plug's and wire's, as I mentioned above had the cat replaced. I have cleaned my injector's with seafoam. I am getting ready to replace my battery cable's and manually clean the injector's. Oh and I have notice that my light's will get bright and then go back. Any help would be nice as I am about at my last straw.

Hello...
I hoipe you've figured out your issues, but I thought I'd add a couple suggestions.
If you've replaced your fuel pump module, perhaps you have a creacked or lose Evap hose. That is one possibility on your gas odor. Many times cracks are on the back side of hoses or pipe nipples and cannot be seen by casual inspection. I've been fooled myself.

If the "sucking sound/fuel odor" is coming from the engine compartment, inspect the small hose and plastic line to your MAP sensor on your throttle body.I had an issue with this last summer! BTW everything looked good but the cracks were all on the bottom of the hose and could not be detected until I removed it for inspection.
There is also a voltage test you can run on your MAP sensor, but one of the symptoms is a fuel odor .

I haven't had the No buss problem but had a headlight issue untill I removed all my ground wires and cleaned them. There are at least 3 diferent ground harnesses, one set up by the fire wall and two down low by the battery tray. These get attacked by acid fumes from your battery and can get corroded. One of the looms goes to your front lighting, Once youve cleaned eveything all shiny including the stud mount on the fender, put it back together and paint cover with thick grease to help slow the next cleaning.

Hope you find your problem and post your solution!

:birgits_tiredcoffee

OP
OP
M

MellisaP.

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V8 5.9
I checked for code's and the only thing that came up was the CAT, O2S, and HTR were flashing. I called up the guy who put in my cat and he said he is going to look at it. The next day after I posted this the truck started fine. Also the high gas smell seems like it come's from the exhaust. Thank you all I will find out after Christmas if I just got a bad Cat. Hope everyone's holiday's are good. :)

smiley

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 2500 Crew
Engine
6.7L Cummins
This is caused by a bad PCM. search auto computer exchange and you can give them info and swap out for one. I found that if you get it through their ebay store then it is cheaper and get free shipping and lifetime warranty. I know this is issue because my '99 Durango with a 5.2L has the exact same issue and I did a lot of searching to find the answer.

Evidently the boards of the PCM warp and start to make a bad connection that then causes the "no bus" error. You can try electronics cleaner on the connections and see if it helps but it is only a temp fix anyway.

Oh yeah it will not throw a code for this issue.

Last edited: