Just for fun: 360 Golden Commando!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Yeret

The Village Drunk
Reaction score
Under the hood fixing/breaking something.
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Magnum
Hey guys, last weekend was cold and crappy so I spent the time doing what I do best: reading about obscure cars and scribbling up theoretical engine build sheets.

The flavor of the day came in the form of Christine, also known as a 1958 Plymouth Fury. What really caught my attention was the 350 Golden Commando engine that she used. Turns out to be a pretty rare and pretty sweet dual-quad low-deck "B" engine.

Anyway, after doing some thinking, I thought "hey, it'd be pretty cool to do a recreation of this and drop it into my truck!" So, I scribbled up a buildsheet and now have decided to post it here for thoughts and opinions. Bear in mind, this isn't exactly meant to be engineering perfection or even a particularly balanced setup, just some fun thinking. I'm curious as to how y'all think it would work. :p

Without further ado, here we go...

Base is a fuel-injected 5.9 (360) Magnum.

(2) Mr. Gasket open-element air cleaners. I'm gonna scuff them up and paint them matte gold, just like the original Golden Commando air cleaners.

(2) Fastman V6 throttle bodies. I figure these should combine for ~1,200 CFM airflow. The reason for the V6 TB is the smaller bore could help with torque in the low-range. I would like to think that I could create some form of progressive linkage but, eh, maybe...

Indy Mod Man intake manifold runner base. I'll have this ordered with fuel injector holes machined and create a custom top plate to fit the two two-barrel throttle bodies.

(2) Indy 1.92" intake cast iron cylinder heads.

Crane HR-214/325-2S-14 camshaft
Lift: .520/.531
Duration: 214/220
IVC: 36 degrees

Harland Sharp 1.7 ratio roller rockers.

Keith Black step dish pistons. Will add 18cc to the chamber volume.

(2) Cometic .08" head gaskets. Combined with the heads, pistons and cam should yield 8.19:1 dynamic compression ratio. Perhaps a smidge hot for iron heads? A cooler thermostat might help?

And of course, a tune to tie all this together.

So, what do y'all think? Totally ridiculous or totally awesome? Or somewhere in between, LOL. And bear in mind that this will run in my big, heavy 'ole Ram. I've also got a carbureted version of this written up for use in, well, a Plymouth Fury, LOL.

Last edited:

dudeman2009

Reaction score
Ram Year
2001 1500 Sport with enough electrical modifications to make my brain hurt
Engine
Magnum 360
You'll be running near the upper end of the safe dynamic compression ratio, but i've been told by builders that as long as you stay below 8.25 you'll be good to run temps from 180-195 degrees.

Go much lower and you'll start to wear out the cylinder wall faster. The least wear in an engine occurs between 200-220 degrees, that seems to be the sweet spot for block and head temperature, oil temp is higher, about 300 degrees.

I think you'll be fine with that build temp wise, I don't believe the iron heads will have a problem with that pressure.