Knocking Sound in Fuel Pan?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

christi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V8 Magnum
Hello all! I've only owned my 1999 Ram 4 months and this afternoon I heard a noise coming from the middle-back underneath the truck. I'm guessing this is the fuel pan? What could this sound be? I looked underneath, and on the pan it says "MADE IN USA KAUTEX AVILLA" Again, I'm not saying this is definitely where the sound is coming from. but what else could it be coming from if the sound is way under the truck towards the middle-back? It just started making the sound today, and it's off and on. Please help!

Thanks,

Christina

Attachments

• fuel.jpg
    fuel.jpg
    12.9 KB · Views: 22

adam1500

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7 v-8
Is this on cold starts ? And does the noise go away after it warms up?

OP
OP
C

christi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V8 Magnum
Good question. On this particular trip I had only gone about 2 miles. I was in heavy traffic though. I didn't notice the sound until the last minute of the drive, so I don't think it was at the beginning. I bet the entire trip was 6 minutes and through town at a very small speed.

adam1500

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7 v-8
hmm well do u have the 4.7?
I know some rams had issues with exsahust manafold a make ticking noises and a lot of rams make a ticking /slapping noise when u first start them and even some make the noise when the engines hot . when you hit the gas does the noise get louder ?

OP
OP
C

christi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V8 Magnum
This started happening right after I got my air conditioner fixed. The truck runs A LOT louder now too. Exhaust sounds about right. I don't think the truck was running hot at all bc I checked the gauges.

dapepper9

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L V8
go through and check all exhaust connections and hangers. Somethin might just be loose and tapping (if thats the kind of sound it is)

Do need more information tho