Lets talk some cams.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

hemifever

Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
The 206 would probably be okay. The bigger the duration, the less LOW end tq it will have. So for plowing you don't want to get too aggressive with a horsepower cam like a 210-220 for example. The 112 lsa on that one will help bring on the tq a little better as well

ParrotHead FA

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.2 magnum
This is exactly what I'm wondering about for my 98 Ram 4x4. I'd like to get one of the comp cams mother thumpr cams like the one I put in my small block chevy, great aggressive sounding cam with good mid range performance. It would sound amazing with the straight pipes, and I'm sure would give much better acceleration and passing performance on the highway. The thing is, in their catalogs and website, the cams I was looking at said they fit 5.2 engines from 60 something to 2000, except engines with sequential fuel injection. Does this mean that these cams will not work with my particular 5.2 and stock computer at all, or just that the truck will and computer will have to be tuned in order for it to run right? I can replace the cam myself, but I do not have the means available at home to reconfigure and/or replace the computer and tune the engine for the particular cam. I'm not really keen on going through all the trouble of replacing the cam just to put in one of the cams 'recommended' for my motor that will only give a very mild performance improvement and barely sound any different from stock.
Dave

talon6

Reaction score
Ram Year
2002 QCSB 4X4
Engine
supercharged 5.9
YOU DO NOT WANT TO GET A CAM FOR SOUND. you will be very dissapointed in the performance.

sct is what most of us use for computer tuning for bigger cams. custom tunes, via e-mail.

what cam are you looking at? how about a link.

ParrotHead FA

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.2 magnum
Yes, I know you dont want to buy a cam for sound. I was merely stating that I put one of these cams in my 1990 chevrolet truck and it sounded great, plus it gave very noticable perfomance increases. It's a little better off the line and when towing, but when you take her to the floor and make her downshift and rev on up to pass or just plain get going in a hurry is where you notice a big difference. The acceleration is much better than stock. That's what I want to do with the ram, make it really grab you by the balls when you rev it up to 4 grand. The sound is just a bonus, those choppy cams sound great with straight pipe. I realize its a 4500+ lb truck, and is never going to have the get up and go of a camaro. I dont mind replacing the valve springs and torque converter and stuff like that if its a cam thats going to feel and sound real ballsy, but seems like a lot of work to do to get something that may or may not feel much different.
Dave.

ParrotHead FA

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.2 magnum
Here's the particular cam I was looking at 20-601-4 - Thumpr

Might be a bit of work, but trying to decide if its worth going through with it. I don't have access to a computer to do the setup and tune, so that part at least would have to be done in a shop, might need a bit of shop work on the heads/springs too. trying to decide if its worth it.
Dave