List of issues help me out please

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jstraubel

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 magnum
First off I've got a 2000 ram 2500 4x4 with only 60000 miles it odviously doesn't get out often but I'm starting to notice a few things that I can't quite put my hands on
1 erratic idle (intermittent) every once in a while when it's in park it will start chugging and choke itself out and stall, it's only when it's parked and idling? Iac and tps have been changed.

2 Noticed a exhaust leak is there common issues with this year of truck sounds like it's up by the motor don't no if it's the connection to the manifold or the manifold to the head I can't see any black streaks indicating its the manifold to the head?

2 Oil leak not to bad but it's getting annoying any common problems with the oil pan gaskets or is it normally the rear main seal? I can see oil on my oil pan dripping from behind the motor doesn't appear to be coming out of the bell housing but road wind puts it all over the place

Thanks in advance for the help

Gen2Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.2l V8 Magnum
I have the same erratic idle that you too have. Its got me stumped. I have a 2000 1500 5.2L. Hopefully some one with more knowledge can help us out.

WarrenRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
N/A
Engine
N/A
There's the usual stuff to look for, vacuum leak, dirty TB, etc. Also possible bad coil, and bad battery. My experience with it would have me start with the battery as suspect #1.

OP
OP
J

Jstraubel

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 magnum
Wouldn't a vacuum leak be constant?

Gen2Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.2l V8 Magnum
Justraubel I too thought if it was a vacuum leak it would be constantly having an erratic idle. Anyways I looked at the throttle body its clean so I dont think that's the issue. When I looked at the battery the terminals are slightly corroded but nothing to bad I'll clean it off tomorrow and see if that's it.

dodge dude94

Millennial Boomer
Reaction score
Ram Year
1998 Ram 1500
Engine
5.9 Magnum
Check for vacuum leaks anyway. I've seen weirder stuff before on these things. lol

Make sure your throttle body is clean and the IAC functioning properly as well though.

Sometimes the exhaust manifolds can crack, but most times it's a blown gasket or a fastener that was once removed and is no longer playing nice, not allowing it to seal against the block.

I'd put more money on the main seal than anything else. Hell, mine has had that leak for years now, doesn't drip onto the ground, just seeps. Make sure your valve cover gaskets aren't pooched either, those ARE a common problem that in some cases can be addressed simply by tightening the bolts down.

Gen2Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.2l V8 Magnum
For me a new throttle body and O2 sensor fixed the idle issue and seemed to give her a little more get up and go

Stegs

Reaction score
Ram Year
1998 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4
Engine
5.2L 318 C.I.
I had a stumble, turned out a I had a crack in my plug wires going to a cylinder...happen once in a while

new plugs and wires fixed it...but I did clean the throttle body too...