Looking For New Muffler

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Keagan

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Magnum 5.2
I'm wanting a new muffler as the old one is just getting too boring. I want something that purrs rather than screams, like a low purr. i also don't want to alert the whole block when i leave every morning. i see videos for flowmasters but theyre just too loud and annoying. It's a 1998 single cab longbed with a 5.2. single pipe and a cat converter.

Agent M

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Thrush Turbo, I think Advance has them for like around 40 bucks. I had one on my 01 Sierra and it purred, the deep sound. It was evident in the cab too, so if you like that, the Thrush Turbo is the way to go. It wasn't overly loud outside, but you could hear the hum from it in the cab.
I am actually looking to get another one and put it on my 96 Ram. Just haven't gotten around to it. Right now I'm straight piped from the cat back, rusted out and I just pulled what was left off. My trucks a bit noisy but not bad.

Agent M

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
And supposedly it was going to give you a mile or two mpg boost, and some ft pounds of torque, or HP or whatever.
I had a K & N in it and I really didn't notice a huge notable difference, maybe it did, maybe not. But I had/have a problem with keeping my foot out of the floor board anyway so I can't say much on that topic.

dapepper9

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L V8
My 2 Cents- just judging by your description a flowmaster super 50 (not 40 or 44 like on youtube) or like ^^with the recommendation of the thrush turbo

Here's a sound of the FM 50 and one of the Thrush Turbo

Both of these are member vids too :Big Laugh:

Agent M

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I don't think my Thrush sounded quite like that, mine was a deep hum in the cab. Maybe it sounded like that at the pipe not sure. But I kind of like both them sounds.

Merc225hp

Reaction score
Ram Year
truck
Engine
gas
I would think more along the line's of a nice Magnaflow 16"+ long.

leadrofthepak

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I have the Flowmaster 40 series 3" catback system. It is loud (not straight pipe or glass-pack loud but still loud). If you are looking for a system with low cab noise this is NOT the system for you.

Merc225hp

Reaction score
Ram Year
truck
Engine
gas
^^^ LOL I had dual super 44's wayyyyyyyy too loud, it would set off auto alarms as I drove past them, not city law enforcement friendly at all up here.

Johnn123

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
I vote cherry bomb vortex, what I have. It is NOT loud, and doesnt drone at all! My mechanic, who hates loud trucks, likes the sound of it. Flows very well too.

99RamSport360

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L Magnum 360
^^^ LOL I had dual super 44's wayyyyyyyy too loud, it would set off auto alarms as I drove past them, not city law enforcement friendly at all up here.

I have the 44 on 3" catback duals and it is hardly loud IMO. I was expecting a lot more from it because of the videos I had seen and a friend had it as well. Would deleting the cat make it louder?

dodge dude94

Millennial Boomer
Reaction score
Ram Year
1998 Ram 1500
Engine
5.9 Magnum
My 2 Cents- just judging by your description a flowmaster super 50 (not 40 or 44 like on youtube) or like ^^with the recommendation of the thrush turbo

Here's a sound of the FM 50 and one of the Thrush Turbo

Both of these are member vids too :Big Laugh:
I was about to post my video and you beat me to it, ya jerk! :p
I don't think my Thrush sounded quite like that, mine was a deep hum in the cab. Maybe it sounded like that at the pipe not sure. But I kind of like both them sounds.
Dodges are louder than GMCs anyway. My tailpipe is a 3 incher and I do have a deep hum in the cab....once you get above 3500 rpm she REALLY starts talking. :signs6:

The Dynomax Super Turbo and Ultraflow are also good choices for low noise and high CFM. I'm going to be putting Dynomax STs on the 76 here soon, so I might give input on that. lol

dapepper9

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L V8
My tailpipe is a 3 incher and I do have a deep hum in the cab....once you get above 3500 rpm she REALLY starts talking. :signs6:

I have deep hum too (obviously due to FM) but once I get to about 3k its all engine for noise, never tried revving in neutral tho, only hit that when driving

99RamSport360

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L Magnum 360
Everything revs fine and no I haven't replaced the cat. Still stock.

NRA4ever

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I have the Thrush Turbo with 3 inch pipe & a gutted cat. It sounds great.