Looking for some input.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

tommyboi87

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.2 Magnum
Ok, so I was going to put the 408 stroker in my ram, but ran into a financial bump. So, can't go that route anymore. So, plan B it is. Let me ask you guys something. I'm gonna go the bolt on route with a few extra modifications. I'm going to do the Hughes performance intake manifold, TB, long tubes, electric fan conv. Bigger torque converter, lightweight driveshaft, posi, final drive gear, 1.7rr plugs, wires, rotar, CAI, and a tune. I'm probably forgetting a few things, but that's the basic walk through of the list. I don't plan on changing my rims from the stock rim and tire size, so I need some help on what gear would be best suitable for good, not great acceleration, because I'll still need some hwy speed. Eventually I want to get a good performance cam, heads and whatever else I can get my hands on. My question is, how well do you guys see this turning out? And am I missing any other bolt ons? Feel free to add some non bank breaking parts.

Stegs

Reaction score
Ram Year
1998 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4
Engine
5.2L 318 C.I.
Ok, so I was going to put the 408 stroker in my ram, but ran into a financial bump. So, can't go that route anymore. So, plan B it is. Let me ask you guys something. I'm gonna go the bolt on route with a few extra modifications. I'm going to do the Hughes performance intake manifold, TB, long tubes, electric fan conv. Bigger torque converter, lightweight driveshaft, posi, final drive gear, 1.7rr plugs, wires, rotar, CAI, and a tune. I'm probably forgetting a few things, but that's the basic walk through of the list. I don't plan on changing my rims from the stock rim and tire size, so I need some help on what gear would be best suitable for good, not great acceleration, because I'll still need some hwy speed. Eventually I want to get a good performance cam, heads and whatever else I can get my hands on. My question is, how well do you guys see this turning out? And am I missing any other bolt ons? Feel free to add some non bank breaking parts.

it all sounds good, I don't know what motor you have, but im going to assume the 360.

Everything you listed is great, its pretty much what Ive done to my truck too

The only thing I will say, keep your stock converter now, spend the money on getting new gears. I went from 3.55 to 4.56, and it was probably the best thing I did.

also get a shift kit for your trans....run your truck that way. I have a 2200 stall converter in my truck...its nice, but in a way I wish I wouldn't have gone too that high of stall....but I plan on doing a 408 down the road

everything you listed is a wonderful start....whats fun is doing one thing at a time and seeing/watching/feeling how your truck reacts....you can feel it wake up

Oh yea, next thing to do before you start any of this....get yourself some rotella t5 synthetic blend oil and a napa gold filter....you will notice a nice difference in doing a good oil change (if you haven't already)

for plugs I suggest autolite 3923 (I think that's the number) great plug in our trucks...

OP
OP
tommyboi87

tommyboi87

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.2 Magnum
Well unfortunately I'm stuck with the 318. I was getting ready to buy a new 408. Then ran into some issues with my house. So I had to put it off. I still plan on getting it when I get that tax check. I was just going to keep the stock 318 in the meantime. But when I saw myself getting smoked by a hyundai the other day, man that was just sad. I'll be getting gears too. I just wanted to slap the converter in there for that little extra. A 4.56 wouldn't be too much? I mean I figured that would kill my top end.

OP
OP
tommyboi87

tommyboi87

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.2 Magnum
Oh yea, I want an underdrive pully too. Along with adding some numbers at the wheel I also want to take some of that stress off the engine. I read somewhere that swapping to an electric fan and upgrading the pullies along with a few of the other mods I mentioned will help the engine run more efficiently.

dodge dude94

Millennial Boomer
Reaction score
Ram Year
1998 Ram 1500
Engine
5.9 Magnum
Get a Mopar M1 instead. Also, I don't think anyone makes a light weight driveshaft for these trucks. 4.10 gears would make your truck pretty rowdy as well.

Stegs

Reaction score
Ram Year
1998 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4
Engine
5.2L 318 C.I.
you got to determine what your plans for this truck is

if your looking for something off the line fast, go with 4.10 or 4.56 like me ........but if you see a lot of highway time, stay with 3.55 or 3.73

don't know about a underdrive pulley......I too have the 318, these mods woke my truck up

1. 4.56 gears
2. cold air intake
3. sct tune by hemifever
4. dual exhaust (or free flowing exhaust)
5. autolite plugs
6. rotella t5 synthetic blend oil

now since then Ive added a m1 intake (very nice) and a 2200 stall converter with a shift kit

I must say its nice, but remember....318 magnums only came with 230 hp (I think the 360 was 245)

not exactly speed machines....honestly, IMO, if you want to go fast in that truck, take the money you going to spend on all these mods and save it for either a stroker or drop a 440 in it with a 727 trans

My truck has improved, but is not fast even with everything Ive done....

Take my advice, save it for your 408.....looking back now, I wish I would have done that! TRUST ME!

Merc225hp

Reaction score
Ram Year
truck
Engine
gas
None of those mods are going to add any real hp, yes they help but not much.

Simple list

Wide band 02 gauge with data logging capabilities
Sct
M1
Cam, max .480 lift with the stock springs.
Timing chain set
Lifters
Pushrods
Asst Gaskets
Torq converter 2200-2400 stall
Headers, offroad Y pipe or true duals.

If you change the tq converter might as well drop in a good used 5.9, pre build it before hand.

Skip the 1.7 rr's, the cai, the under drive pulleys that stuff can be added later on. Gears are dependent on tire size/towing and more, just saying go 4.56 is not right without more info from you.

Anything else will be just a bonus to the rest.

OP
OP
tommyboi87

tommyboi87

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.2 Magnum
I'm not changing my tires or rims from stock. I'll look get the size when I get home. Should be tomorrow. I'm just looking for a little bit to wake this 318 up and get a little better gas mileage. I'm still going to go the 408 route like we had talked about merc, just not as soon as I had planned to. I'm building this motor up because once I do the swap I'm putting the 318 in my cousin's jeep. I'm planning on doing everything to this engine I can without getting into forged internals.

OP
OP
tommyboi87

tommyboi87

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.2 Magnum
So is there a real noticeable difference between the mopar m1 and the Hughes intake?

OP
OP
tommyboi87

tommyboi87

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.2 Magnum
Also, a few people told me to upgrade my timing belt and something else with the timing. I tried looking up the parts he was talking about but all I could find was factory replacement timing parts. Any input?

dodge dude94

Millennial Boomer
Reaction score
Ram Year
1998 Ram 1500
Engine
5.9 Magnum
The M1 and AirGap both accomplish the same thing: more power. But, the M1 accomplishes it with an easier install, at a lower rpm, and with less mods for bigger gains.

OP
OP
tommyboi87

tommyboi87

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.2 Magnum
Well the only reason I asked about the difference, and said that I was going with the F1 is because I remember someone saying the M1 was no longer in production.